cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G network roll out when can people expect to receive it.

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Is it true, the roll out of 4G technology will be happening in 2013 and who will benefit from it other than 4G handset users. I realise that HSPA+ is nearly at 4G level close but no cigar. I struggle to get HSPA+ signals although HDSPA is more common.

Any information and what handsets currently support 4G. I notice some internet websites sell handsets capable of being used worldwide.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions
The 4G spectrum auction has been pushed back to early 2013, so I personally think we'll be lucky to get a good 4G service before 2014.

In theory, 4G should give download speeds of 100+mbps, but as with existing tech, it will depend on the number of users, location of masts, and the spectrum frequency being used.

The US version of the Lumia 900 supports LTE, as does the HTC One XL and the iPad 3 supports USA/Canada LTE frequencies only.

ewan
Message 2 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

True, it would be a waste of investment if the technology and networks weren't in place to deal with 4G. Secondly, like any new technology it will need further research and debugging to perfect. This will of course mean the end of 2G networks which won't be missed once they get this thing running good.

Message 3 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2012/07/24/ofcom-unveils-plans-for-4g-auction-of-the-airwaves/

do not expect it before late 2013 early 2014 and o2 voda confirmed in the agreement on masts / equipment that the roll out would be finished by 2015 98% coverage.

For the last year at least when o2 awarded 2 companies the contract to upgreade the network the new kit requires a software upgrade to enable 4g. That was a 3 year project.

I guess it will be the usual watch this space as ofcom drags out the auction.

I just hope the networks do not get ripped off like the  3g auction as that wiped out any funds to actually build the infrastructure / improve the network. Just my take on the issue.

P.s. The old 2g and 3g networks will remain for voice as 4g is realy for data

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Yes that's a good point, however I probably meant to say that LTE or Wi-Max handset probably won't work in the 2G frequency spectrum.  I obviously like to see the UK catch up with the rest of the world, mobile technology-wise as it will mean especially when travelling our handsets will be fully compatiable with their networks.

The only downside I can see to Smartphone technology is the emergence of information theft through rogue applications. For this reason alone, I would never use a mobile phone to make a financial transaction.

Message 5 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

most new items that have lte etc have legacy frequencies . E.G. ipad etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 8

bluescreener
  • 81 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

One issue holding up the 4G roll-out is that of aviation users adjacent to the 2.6GHz band. There are a number of airport radar systems that have to be modified, the funding of which is being provided by the government.

CAA Information Notice IN2011/105

Once this has been addressed then you can be sure the cost will be passed on to the networks  and ultimately to the end user!

At the trailing edge of technology.
Message 7 of 8

GrahamF
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 138 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
Hi everyone, so who's moving over to T-Mobile/Orange then...............?? 😉 I won't be that's for sure! Graham
Everything will be OK in the end. If it isn't OK, then it's not the end!!
Message 8 of 8