cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D technology - Have we actually adopted it?

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

We've all heard and seen the latest range of 3D TVs out in the market. They are a bit pricey of course but delivers a great experience when you're watching a movie or your favourite sports game with those magical glasses on (they look cool, don't they?! :)) 

Then we saw an era of technology enhancement with 3D printers, they actually look superb and has many advantages if you're a creative person presenting new structures/ models. But the real question is can we see it replacing the traditional printersCan consumers accept it?

Recently, I also saw Nokia backing 3D printing with their latest stunt by letting the lumia 820 owners print their own mobile covers (how cool is that?) What do you think, have we really adopted the 3D technology and can it really be called revolutionary?

3D glasses

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

For now, 3D printing is an expensive novelty but in future, it could be a hugely important - and taken for granted - technology.

If you look around wherever you are sitting right now, there's a whole load of items that cost next to nothing in terms of raw materials but a lot in terms of transport and production - both in visible costs and in background costs of energy.   No imagine being able to "download" your lampshades, your "crockery", parts for your car, maybe even furniture.

3D printing - especially if it can eventually be combined with a method of recycling plastics within the home or at least the local area at a later date - is a step towards the Star Trek "replicators".  Okay - not in the immediate future - probably not in my lifetime - but the principles behind it are solid and the long-term uses of it are way beyond making masks and "carvings".   On a larger scale - there's no real reason why it can't replace a lot if not all manufacturing - cars, pre-fabbed houses - anything that can be constructed, moulded or assembled - could all be produced within a couple of miles of your home rather than being shipped around the world.

And if they ever do it - there'll be pirate copies online with ten minutes - download a battleship from Pirate Bay and really push that "unlimited" data plan to it's limits slight_smile

Message 2 of 16

Abs
O2 Social Media Team
O2 Social Media Team
  • 1014 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

you got me all excited with star treks and masks (mission impossible style) wink

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make your own 3D printer.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see a problem...

If we can make things using 3D printers, they'll only ever sell one - think about it wink

Message 5 of 16

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Haha very good point:D

I am really looking forward to the 3d printing revolution.

They're even printing burgers (meat in general) at the moment. At 300k per burger ill wait a while for costs to come down though:)

Is it only me that gets headaches using 3D TVs?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
Is it only me that gets headaches using 3D TVs?

I watched BBC Click yesterday and they were saying 3D TV is heading towards failure and was only brought out to try and refill a saturated market.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 16

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I refuse to buy into it if I'm honest.

I much prefer my high response tv (can't use it at full potential yet:( silly impulse buying)

It was a great novelty in cinema when it first came out but it does seem to flop in the home cinema. Kind of luck the new "smart TVs"
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 8 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:

It was a great novelty in cinema when it first came out but it does seem to flop in the home cinema. Kind of luck the new "smart TVs"

I'm more into the idea of a smart box, which can be connected to any modern HD tv.

I'm using a Humax just now but I do like their YouView box.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 16

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Agreed slight_smile I love the smart box ad ons. Is it worth buying into yet?

I'm against these smart tv with cameras I'd hate to think someone could watch me being a tramp in my own living room:( haha.
Message 10 of 16