30 years since the fall of the Berlin wall

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hey guys....

pic

As it's already 9th november here, it's the day that marks 30 years since the Berlin wall fell.

It's one of THE points in German history.

Was it big in the news in UK too? My mom always told me she knew exactly what she did back then... She even woke my dad up (as he was sleeping as he had early shift next morning) and that I was sleeping (I was only a few months old).

Cheers!

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

It was momentous for the world. Shame that there are still governments intent on putting barriers up.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10760 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Absolutely unacceptable to put walls up @ComaChameleon.
However history tells us different. Hadrian's wall England/Scotland, Great wall of China, Western wall Jerusalem and plenty more.
The Berlin wall removal is reported now in UK and was a very significant event at the time and celebrated.
Unfortunately there are now invisible walls everywhere.
Those who wish to be inclusive have to deal with it in the best way they can.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@ComaChameleon 

I was about when construction started in 1961. Overjoyed when the wall reopened (or fell) in 1989.

It was a pivotal event in world history.

Apparently it never should have been re-opened but for a mistake. A press conference was being held to announce the easing of travel regulations from East to West.

When the press asked the question 'when would these regulations come into effect', the minister dealing with the press had no idea and said, errrmm I think from now? (That's a simplistic explanation but quite factual.) wink

The rest as they say, is history.

According to this BBC report, East and West Germany was re-unified by music (or 'illegal raves')

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49892553 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Thats how I remember the lead up - the travel restrictions not only from East Germany but other communist countries just stopped bothering with the checks. Memories of the mass car parks at the border waiting for the clearance to proceed was another one of those moments in history. 

But no, to some the actual event will only be remembered incorrectly by this particular unique phenonomen: 

and a recent interview with him about it here

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Mmmm. Yes. I'm sure he was responsible for the wall coming down rolling_eyes

I'd rather watch the Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) concert about the wall. (which was bloody brilliant)

Image result for Did Pink Floyd ever do a concert about the Berlin wall"

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sure, who else as the Hoff is resposible XD That's why German's have a weird relation to him ^^

A collegue of my best friend fled just 3 days before the wall was opened. 

And yes, it was by accident - but as Bob Ross always said "happy little accidents".

What's sad: It's still not real unity after 30 years. Poor East, "rich" West. We still pay a "solidarity tax" (everyone upon his wage)....

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ComaChameleon 

The consequences of 'strong'/populist leaders.

The alarming thing is they seem to be on the rise again, let's hope common sense prevails before it gets out of control.

On a lighter note, always wanted to go to Germany, my Secondary School had an exchange relationship with a school in (carefully checks spelling) Traben-Trarbach but my folks wouldn't sign the consent letter as they were concerned about my being so far away etc.

I studied German for GCSE (I know you asked in another thread what it was equivalent to but I've no idea) but I do intend to undertake a European road trip at some point (here's hoping you don't greet us Brits with a burning pitchfork by then as you are so fed up with that B word slight_smile )

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember it was massive news at the time, but it's somewhat sad that after all the early optimism, we still seem to have an East-West divide today. 

One of my favourite films about that subject is Good Bye Lenin! It's a comedy that dispels the myth that the Germans don't have a sense of humour wink

For a more serious study about life in the GDR, "The Lives of Others" is well worth watching.

Message 9 of 9