☀️🌴 Your summer picnic preferences

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Summer on the community

Hi guys,

As part of the Summer discussion series here in Off Topic, I wanted to discuss what I think is one of the most awesome things of summer...

Picnics! 🧺 🍇 🍉 🥐 🧀 🍷

For me, an ideal picnic consists of a great location (I prefer a quiet summer field or a large green park away from noisy traffic), delicious food/snacks and a nice drink, and some great people to catch up with. (Although I have enjoyed solo picnics too!)

I'd love to hear if you guys, first of all, like picnics too? When was the last time you had one? A few weeks ago, I had a socially-distanced picnic where we had separate picnic blankets and our own sets of snacks, in a local park. It also counts, if you don't have access to a park for example, to have a picnic locally in your own garden, or even on the balcony or the living room floor!

If you could decide everything according to your preference, what would be the ideal picnic for you? I'm thinking 

• Location 🗺
  • Stuff to bring with you (in addition to the blanket!) 🧺
  • What foods would you choose and what drinks? 🍹
  • Who would you like as company? If you could pick anyone 😀

Looking forward to hearing about your picnic thoughts!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Not really much help here @Marjo. My husband hates picnics. In fact he would rather do without food than think about going on a picnic. upside_down

Having said that, we did do picnics on the beach when the lads were young. Not ideal, sand in sandwiches etc

The last picnic we went on as a family was for our granddaughters birthday 5 years ago.

We went to a local beauty spot called Hartshill Hayes...

Harshill hayes.jpg

We were told not to bring food as her Grandad's partner, a caterer, would bring everything we needed.

It was lovely. Plenty of food and drink for adults and children.  Sandwiches, snacks, party food and fruit.

The children played with kites and other stuff. A great day as it was warm and sunny.

I did ask my other half if he enjoyed it. He said it was ok but he was still hungry. rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not one for picnics now @Marjo but did enjoy them when I was younger.

Mum used to do sarnies, cake and pop [and flask of tea for the oldies - Mum, Dad & Gran] for picnics in the park and for on beach on summer hols.

Still enjoy butties at lunchtime but all the bother of laying out blanket, prep and carting stuff is too much hassle now, so it`s curled up on the sofa, windows open and enjoying the sandwiches.

Sorry for being a bit negative. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I enjoy a picnic and even now will have sandwich + hot sausage roll + crisps + cake and fruit drink outside on an afternoon ... this would be in the garden of the Friends Meeting House aka Quakers in town ... for myself or doubled up for the company of a friend

When my son was with me we would picnic during the Summertime in the nearby park

A group picnic was a Parish Picnic up the Dales by the shallow river Wharfe ... = ... my dear dad Roy, bless him, made a raft of 2L pop bottles for us all to play on

Food then included chicken thighs and grapes

We sat on our blankets and enjoyed sharing our food with friends

Message 4 of 14

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I've just caught up with this topic. That looks so lovely @Cleoriff ! Thanks for including a photo of the area where you went for the Birthday picnic. slight_smile A caterer bringing the food, that must have been awesome.

@Mi-Amigo That's not negative at all. Curled up on the sofa with a nice snack and a drink sounds lovely too! slight_smile In fact I should probably do that more often myself as I just tend to eat at my computer desk which is probably not the best.

@Anonymous Sounds lovely! Have you gone recently? slight_smile Your foods list made me hungry grin

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo wrote:

I've just caught up with this topic.

@Anonymous Sounds lovely! Have you gone recently? slight_smile Your foods list made me hungry grin

Hello @Marjo I have not had a picnic out this year YET ... ... ... not too good on my feet / legs atm ... ... ... BUT after 80% heavy rain plus today ... thank you for reminding me to do so in the not too distant future.

Message 6 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @Marjo
Always had a picnic when at beach with parents. I like a picnic when touring. Home cooked Ham in sandwich is favourite with English mustard.
Like hard boiled eggs on a picnic too. Tea is good for drink.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

My last picnic was on a beach in Thailand on Christmas day five years ago when the temperature was 35 degrees C. That was a happy surreal day suncool

We had crab, prawns, oysters and squid and I was ill Boxing Day through to New Year's Eve

vomit into the toilet emoticonPooping on toilet animated emoticon

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

My last picnic was on a beach in Thailand on Christmas day five years ago when the temperature was 35 degrees C. That was a happy surreal day suncool

We had crab, prawns, oysters and squid and I was ill Boxing Day through to New Year's Eve

vomit into the toilet emoticonPooping on toilet animated emoticon

Ohhh @jonsie what a memorable Christmas Day for you ... I too like seafood and shell fish.

Message 9 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Ah the shellfish saga! 

You are so realistic @jonsie  All extremely enjoyable to eat ~ 

it's just the Salmonella included in the dish that is unwanted nauseated_face 

Well done though for staying out of Hospital!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 14