❤️ Valentine's Day Baking ❤️

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hello everyone,

First of all - Happy Valentine's Day everyone! heart heart heart

Coming to the end of Love Week, I am glad to share something with you that I love to do - Baking.
I am sure almost everyone of you has baked something for someone else before. For a birthday, biscuits for Christmas or just a little treat to cheer your friend up. I personally think that especially Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be all about your partners, but also about your friends and family. Which is why this year I have decided to (at least I was planning to) make something special for the two people who are dearest to me (and not live on the other end of the world). 

Firstly, following up on my post on Monday, I was planning on making these chocolate treats for my best friend, until I found out that he is currently on a diet and would not be very happy for me ruining it (maybe some of you know who that is). So that was scrapped and he is getting a card now. Your loss joy

So, instead I made a cake. And this might be more of a selfish cake than a gift because it is for my partner and I bet you I can eat quicker than him. But I have been wanting to try this cake for a while. It’s from Nadiya Hussain’s most recent baking book to which I watched her series on BBC. I decided to kitsch it up for the occasion and make it in a heart shape, because that’s how extra I am. So, this is it in all its glory and you can find the recipe here.

IMG_20210213_124106_resized_20210214_094825142.jpg

It turned out really well but I have to say I probably won't be making it again, at least not in my kitchen which is way too small for it joy It was hard finding space for all the separate biscuit sheets at one point so some of them actually landed in my living room together with at least a cup of flour spread across the flat upside_down But this cake does taste absolutely delicious and is very well worth trying if you like to bake and/or want to make something a bit special wink

Do you have a favourite recipe to show your appreciation to someone? Have you made something for Valentine’s Day? If yes, please share it (maybe even with a picture?) so that I can steal it from you joy

And whether you celebrate Valentine's Day or not - I hope you have a lovely day today and treat yourself to some cake, cause you deserve it wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Did you try your chocolates already @TallTrees ?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 2 of 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What a beautiful cake @TheresaV . Full of admiration for your baking skills. Hope it tastes as good as it looks.

I have no pictures to share sadly. My sister made some wonderful cakes and puddings.

At my 40th which I held in the hospital social club, she made a wonderful selection of cakes and sweet treats. Key Lime Pie. Meringues. Chocolate fudge cakes, Apple Crumble, Treacle lattice tart, with jugs of fresh cream etc etc etc. She also baked my 40th Cake. A big 40 with two figures jiving on top.

We had massive trestle tables with all the savoury stuff on top and the sweet stuff was hidden underneath a large tablecloth on the floor, to be eaten last.

That didn't work. People had seen her carry all the cakes and tarts in, so when we announced the buffet was open....many there just dived under the table to lift the sweet stuff onto the top and tucked in. rofl

We had loads of photos but not stored on phones in those days, so they are upstairs in a massive box  and I couldn't find them if I tried. heart_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 32

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I love baking so much. I just remember my Mum in the kitchen when I was young making all sorts of amazing things but most of all absolutely delicious cakes and things like churros and donuts heart_eyes I am yet to try those though but I do love making cakes and bread, I made probably the biggest birthday cake for @LukasB last year joy

That must have been a feast @Cleoriff heart_eyes I have to admit I never had key lime pie either, I really have to, I saw it on Bake Off but all the others are some of my favourites! Such a lovely memory to have and I hope you tried every single one of those cakes yahoo What is your favourite?

signature

Message 4 of 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TheresaV 

My sister Shirley was excellent at sweet stuff and I was better at the savoury dishes. Her Key Lime Pie was a masterpiece so that was my favourite sweet of hers.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 32

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What a lovely cake @TheresaV. I hope it was/is appreciated.

Long time since I did any baking and those days are long past never to return for various reasons slight_frown.

I was a fan of GBBO and a while ago there was a thread on here to which me, @Cleoriff @EmilieT and others contributed.

Thank you for sharing your baking skills with us.

Oh and Happy Valentines Day to everyone on the Community heart

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 32

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10656 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Wow @TheresaV

Wonderful looking valentines cake ~  

Just got them ~ lunch first will photo before eaten of course!

Back soon

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 32

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10656 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @TheresaV 

After reading the recipe ~ you have gone above and beyond! heart

That looks so tricky to make ~  

This is the box of Godiva Chocolates 

will let you know later how they taste

20210214_125621.jpg

20210214_125553.jpg LOOK FABULOUS slight_smile

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 32

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

That sounds like you were the ones to invite to a dinner party wink @Cleoriff What is your favourite savoury dish to make then?

signature

Message 9 of 32

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo There is still a lot left, I overestimated myself joy

If I'm not up for baking, I love getting some sweet treats from the shops. Kipling slices always do the trick for me wink

I absolutely LOVE GBBO! When they were still on Netflix I kept rewatching the old ones. I think the new one is going to be starting soon isn't it? We should have a thread on here for that! I would love to share my excitement with you guys @Cleoriff @Mi-Amigo smiling

signature

Message 10 of 32