☀️🌴 Tips and tricks for the best summer BBQ! 🌴☀️

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Summer on the community

Hey everyone, 

Nothing says summer like a traditional BBQ in the garden with friends and family. Cooking on an open flame is not quite the same as using the stove so to make sure your summer BBQ's go without a hitch we've compiled some handy tips for the perfect BBQ! smiling

Light the BBQ early 

A common mistake is not letting your BBQ heat up enough and get the coals going properly. Give the grill time to heat up and make sure about 2/3 of your coals have turned white before adding any food. 

Get the temperature right 

Controlling the temperature of your BBQ is key as different things cook at different speeds. To create a hot and cool area you can stack the coals to one side of the BBQ so you have a mega-hot side and one with no direct heat.

Soak wooden skewers to avoid burning 

Skewers are a staple of any good BBQ but nothing is worse then a charred stick of wood through the middle of your snack. Soak your skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes before cooking. Another tip for metal skewers is to coat them in cooking oil to prevent food sticking to them.

Make sure meat is cooked properly 

Cooking over hot coals can quickly char the outside of meat leaving the insides still raw. Avoid this issue by cooking on a lower heat for longer and always check your food is cooked through before serving. Cut into your meat or use a temperature probe to make sure the food is done. 

Let it rest 

Rest your meat for around 5 minutes after it comes off the grill. This will give the juices time to return to the center of the meat avoiding dryness. Do this on a cooling rack, rather then a place to give room for the air to circulate. 

Don't forget the vegetables 

Whilst a BBQ brings out the carnivore in all of us don't forget to get some veg on there too! You can roast potatoes in the coals while cooking your meats and add some lovely veg to skewers bringing a bit of balance and colour to your plate. 

Use tinfoil for an easy cleanup 

Everyone loves eating at a BBQ but you don't get too many volunteers when it comes to clean up time. If you put a few layers of tinfoil at the bottom of your BBQ then you wont have to deal with any burnt on fat and grease at the end of a hard days cooking. 

I'm sure you guys have some tips of your own so please do share them in the comments below and happy BBQing! cool yahoo 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

LukasB
Former Staff
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

I can recommend a lovely Halloumi on the BBQ for the vegetarians drool [edited as I cannot spell]

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 2 of 5

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This guy had the right idea...

Ts.... | Johnny depp funny, Jack sparrow funny, Captain jack ...

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Is that bloke at the BBQ? I'll be there rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

BBQ chicken on skewers

Cut raw chicken into about 1" to 1.1/2" pieces

Put in a tray with plenty of lemon or lime juice and lots of natural yoghurt to coat the chicken pieces well.

Let 'soak' for a while

Place chicken pieces on skewers and BBQ ... turning every so often

Delicious.

Message 5 of 5