MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Summer on the commuity-3.png

Stay cool this summer…..

How to keep your cool when all around are getting hot and sweaty sun

1 – Sun is at its hottest from around midday to 4.00pm so avoid going out during those times if possible. If you must be outside, try to find shade and make sure you dress appropriately with loose cotton clothing. Wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV rays.

Best sunglasses to wear with a hat | Rx Prescription Safety Glasses

2 – Keep hydrated. Drink lots of water or other cold drinks (fruit smoothies are good) but avoid coffee and alcohol as this will dehydrate you.

3 – Ice lollies 😊 Just like when you were a kid, ice lollies are great for keeping you cool as an adult. Make your own and freeze some fruit in them.

Recipe Time: Protein Ice Lollies – Neat Nutrition

4 – Ice packs on the back of your neck or other pressure points will cool you down. Sticking your feet in a bowl of cold water is a wonderful way to cool your body too.

5 – Keep all windows and doors shut and curtains drawn from early morning as this will keep your home interior temperature lower.

6 – Freeze your bed sheets (cotton of course). Place in freezer for an hour before bedtime or scatter ice blocks around your bed. Remember to cool your pillow too.

7 – Don’t forget your sun cream if going out to help prevent sunburn.

8 – Take exercise in the early morning when it’s cooler.

At the Edge of the Wall: Too Hot for running...

9 – Fans can circulate air around your home but it’s usually hot air, so place a frozen bottle of water in front of the fan which will cool the air as it passes over it.

10 – Eat a salad or other cold foods rather that a hot meal.

Baamboozle - Food and quantities

So, there’s 10 tips from me. What ideas have you got to stay cool?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I keep ice cold flannels next to me, Every so often I place them on my face, neck and feet.

I rarely go out between 12-5.

Ray (bless him) knows I can't take this heat nowadays so went out and bought 2 more fans for me.

I agree with a lot of your tips @MI5  though a special one in the evening is sticking my very very swollen feet in a bowl of cold water.

The only one I dont do, is keep my curtains closed, doors and windows shut. It very much depends on the build of the house and it's situation. My house gets sun at the back in the morning and the front in the afternoon. The first thing I do is open every door and window as it generates a nice breeze blowing through from front to back. In the afternoon I then close all front curtains and blinds.

Lucky to have laminate flooring downstairs and that stays cool, whatever the weather,

Certainly drink gallons of  water. No alcohol as that is very dehydrating

Good topic @MI5  kissing

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Glad you like it @Cleoriff 

Keeping the house locked up tight is a tip from our French neighbours.

When out there in the summer our old stone built house stays lovely and cool as long as we don't let the sun in sun

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Great topic @MI5 and some useful tips.

I must be honest I hadn`t thought of the suggestion in 

4 – Sticking your feet in a bowl of cold water is a wonderful way to cool your body too.

With the heatwave expected over the weekend, this might be well worth trying.

Thanks again yahoo

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You're welcome and hope it works for you slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Glad you like it @Cleoriff 

Keeping the house locked up tight is a tip from our French neighbours.

When out there in the summer our old stone built house stays lovely and cool as long as we don't let the sun in sun

Yes my sister had a lovely stone house in the Dordogne area and did exactly the same @MI5 

As I say, it's to do with the building. My apartment in Spain was different. A corner apartment which overlooked the sea from every window. If we had all the windows open and mosquito blinds in place, we had a great sea breeze from front to back. All day and night.

Never needed aircon.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hello @MI5
Thank you for some cool tips. Here at moment is 30C... I was outside early couldn't stay out in that expect it'll get hotter midday.
I just have to stay in but I do open windows otherwise it seems to get stuffy. My lounge window has a pull down outside canopy which prevents sun getting to window otherwise blind would have to go down.
When living in Malta used to mop floors during day as the water evaporates it cools the house..
Good if you have tiled floors can't do with carpet 🤭
From your tips I drink more, don't use much ice but good to cool off.
Cooling head or neck with cold flannel is good, as can get headache from overheating.
Out early if needed or late which I will do tonight.
I like the idea of freezing fruit in the ice lolly I'm going to do that.
One thing I do.. which people living in hot countries seem to do ..is stay in, do not work (lovely!) Staying in seems a pity but heatstroke wouldn't be good. If the outside temperature goes very near or equal a human's natural body temperature 36.7c ish then it is essential to cool down.

My idea ....
is the roof hatch is pulled down to draw up hot air out of the living quarters..there are opening sky lights which is a plus.
This is definitely a plus here the hatch is open all summer.
Thanks for sharing those sensible tips ..TallTrees 🙂

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122348 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I forgot to mention the tip I picked up in Spain. The incredible siesta.

As I'm no longer working, I make sure I have one every day. This is why I go missing from here for about 3 hrs in the afternoon. In this heat I would just have a cotton sheet over me, and a fan blowing. Bliss!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm going to the pub, love sitting in the beer garden with a lager shandy

It can't get too hot for me so luckily I must be cold bloodied

I'm quite used to continuous temperatures in the mid thirties sunsunsuncool

Message 9 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Brilliant topic @MI5 and couldn't be better timed. cool I'm about to start on my second litre of cold water! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 12