cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your ALL-TIME favourite gig and why?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone!

With 2019 well underway and most of us now recovered from the Christmas and New Year festivities we thought it would be fun for all of us in the Community Team, including a couple of our main contacts within the business, to look back and think of all the gigs we've been to.

We've put together a few stories about our own all-time favourite gigs below, and would love to hear about yours too! smile

@Marjo:

I've always been (even more so in my teens and early twenties) into the industrial/alternative metal/rock bands, so I was of course super duper excited when my favourite artist Marilyn Manson toured in Europe, and for once, also in Finland. The Helsinki gig for his High End of Low tour in 2009 is definitely my all-time favourite gig. Yes, I was dressed appropriately tongue_closed but sadly, I don't have any photos saved from the event. Manson was, as expected, a little bit controversial, a little bit shocking, and as usual, loud and super cool and played many of my favourite tracks. smiley I ended up going just by myself as I couldn't manage anyone in my circle of friends to join me due to (very) different music tastes... I met some cool people at the gig though to hang out with. Apart from Marilyn Manson, I have a close second for an all-time favourite gig, which was very different from the above, but also excellent: Sarah Brightman's Harem tour, also in Helsinki, in 2004.

@Martin-O2:

I’d have to say my all time favourite gig was seeing the Foo Fighters live at the Leeds/Reading festival wayyyy back in 2002! The whole festival was a great experience and seeing the Foo Fighters on the final night was the icing on the cake! There was a great atmosphere and being a primarily rock festival the crowd was really into it. The bands performance was fantastic and they played all the classic hits as well as some newer stuff I hadn’t heard before. The highlight of the performance was when Dave Grohl and the bands drummer Taylor Hawkins switched places for a couple of songs! It was definitely one of my most memorable gig nights ever! 

@EmilieT:

I grew up with Harry Potter and other fantastical universes, so seeing the soundtrack of the very first movie played live by a skilled orchestra in the gorgeous Royal Albert Hall was wonderful. The live orchestra added another depth to the performances. It made me appreciate John Williams' work even more, and I fell in love with the adventures of the young witches and wizards all over again. This experience was so special I've since then attended a performance of the third movie and will go see the Goblet of Fire in November this year. nerd

@Chris_K (Social Media Team):

I’ve not been to loads of gigs as I’m not a massive fan of such crowded events, but my favourite gig was Imagine Dragons at The Hydro last March. Imagine Dragons are one of my brothers favourite bands but he’s never been able to see them live.
When tickets for them went on sale, he tried to get them but couldn’t. Little did he know, I wasn’t as unlucky – I managed to buy two tickets and for his Christmas that year (2017), that was my gift to him. The gig came, and we both went to it together, singing through all their songs, waving our hands about like we were frantic teenagers again. We had a great time, and more importantly, I’ve never seen my bro smile that much… I could see how much it meant to him, getting to see his favourite band live – for the first time.

It was almost a disaster, as due to last year’s Beast from the East, I was stuck in Barcelona (MWC) until flights to the UK resumed again. Things were looking bleak for me getting back home in time and I had to break the news to my bro, but after a bit of luck, I managed to get back home about 12 hours before the gig started!

Chris Gig Photo

@ColinO2 (Customer Service & Experience):

Being from Manchester and growing up through the 90’s I was always a massive fan of the Manchester scene and was always disappointed I was a couple of years too young to ever see The Stone Roses live. So when they decided to reform and play there first big reunion gig @ Heaton park in 2012 I had to be there. Safe to say Reni was unbelievable on drums, Mani his usual fantastic bass, John Squire magical as ever and Ian Brown on top form – it was amazing, there was a big group of us who never had the chance to go Spike Island and this helped make up for it. Not only that they were supported by The Wailers, The Vaccines, Kid British and the brilliant Primal Scream – a perfect day and night with Manchester’s finest.

Let us know in the comments if you've been to see any of the artists we mentioned above, and more importantly: what is your all-time favourite gig and why? Happy Dance

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I do still have the raincheck @jonsie. It's in extremely good condition. I expect it might be worth something, but I would never part with it. Some memories you just can't put a price on.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I do still have the raincheck @jonsie. It's in extremely good condition. I expect it might be worth something, but I would never part with it. Some memories you just can't put a price on.:smileywink:

So true @Bambino

Message 12 of 25

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Awesome to read about your experiences guys! slight_smile

@Cleoriff no worries, we love to hear about your gig experiences even if it hasn't been through Priority. thumbsup Thanks for sharing yours! Does your husband not like The Prodigy since he didn't attend or did he just have other plans? I'm soooo jealous that you saw Queen live! open_mouth What do you think of them nowadays when Adam Lambert is (or was? is he still?) touring with them?

@Glory1 I've never been to proper music festivals myself. 😞 It's something that I think would ideally require a group of people going together and in my circle of friends there hasn't been much interest apart from myself. Not too keen on big crowds nowadays either, but I'm still up for this experience anyway. Based on my music tastes I'd probably enjoy the Download Festival! Loved your description of John Lennon giving you a smile, I can imagine the reaction! hugging

@Bambino You said no comment necessary, but I'll comment... WOW! open_mouthgrin So cool that you have held on to the ticket too ever since. Was there any specific moment that was your favourite from that gig or was it just amazing through-out? slight_smile

Message 13 of 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122808 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Marjo

My husband isn't keen and was less keen when he realised it was an unseated gig.

He has watched some of their videos and didn't fancy being part of the crowd...joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 25

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Marjo how to describe how made up I was John Lennon smiled at me, even though Ringo was my favourite. To be noticed by a Beatle, even for a second, WOW!!! I think as I was laughing at the word John Lennin used to express his anger at the mics not working, I shouted out a comment, which is what made him smile. Can't remember what I said but it amused him.

That's me, never been shy and retiring LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 15 of 25

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Favorite gig is either the day I spent at Reading festival, or the night at the Ministry of Sound awards night (both a long time ago).
The MoS night included a live set by Paul van Dyke among others.
At Reading, the memory that sticks out the most is a giant inflatable football flying around during The 5, 6, 7, 8's set (remember the Carling advert Woo Woo Hoo?). I hurt my shoulder the week before I went (strained a few ligaments/tendons and had a sling on) and the ball was flying towards me being chased by a large crowd...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 16 of 25

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
and the ball was flying towards me being chased by a large crowd...

What happened next @gmarkj??? grin open_mouth

The MoS thing, was that the Electronic Music Awards or something else? Sounds like something I'd like too. slight_smile

Message 17 of 25

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Rather luckily it took a sharp turn about 10 yards from me. Cue massive sigh of relief!
Yes they are (were) dance music awards. This was about 20 years ago tho! Can't even remember where they were either...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 18 of 25

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I found this just now @gmarkj about the electronic music awards, and it seems to actually be something quite new! Maybe an updated version of the one you attended years ago? slight_smile

Message 19 of 25

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Looks like that might be...

Message 20 of 25