cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you gig-going rituals – places to visit, food, outfit, etc.?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Gig rituals

Hi everyone!

I've seen many people here on the community mentioning past gigs you've attended, and also plans for future gigs this year. I'm wondering if you guys have any "rituals" or habits whenever you attend gigs.

For example...

• Do you have a specific group of peple that you tend to go with?
  • Do you have any specific places to visit along with attending the gig venue, e.g. going to certain restaurants or pubs before/afterwards?
  • Do you dress in a specific way (or even coordinate what you wear as a group?) Smiley Very Happy
  • Anything else?

Let us know about your gig-going rituals in the comments below! thumbsup

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Marjo

I never attended "gigs" there were plenty for those who wished to be sometimes muddy, rained on and sometimes sunned on. 

I prefer the private ones a bit more gentile (possibly!) but no pushing and shoving (honest)

I always love a "do" with my friends ~ the food is always varied as most of the guests bring 

something they like along.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I've attended 100's of gigs, thought I have never had a burning desire to become a festival goer. I leave that to my sons.

The gigs I have attended have all been indoors, in large venues, ie Wembley,O2 Arena, NEC, NIA.

or smallers ones, such as our local Civic Hall, Coventry Theatre, Marquee, Camden Lock etc.

Twice a year our 'gang' go to 60's or 70's weekends in either Brean Sands or Yarmouth.

The only ritual we have with these weekends is to get the blokes up to the venue early to get a good table...and the women follow up about an hour later. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

We attended lots of gigs, mud, rain and even snow in April a good many years ago. One of the attractions was seeing the weird and wonderful and I don't mean the artists. Then the kids came along and our lifestyle changed as it does for many people.

we went to a few after the kids were grown up but my wife didn't really enjoy it the same so we just collected vinyl and CD's to listen to our favourite artists. That was in the days before I developed hearing problems and could appreciate music. Nowadays, even watching youtube videos is impossible without a decent pair of headphones. Gone are the days of sophisticated sound systems.

Message 4 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@TallTrees I think even live music evenings at local pubs (not karaoke but live bands) count as "gigs", at least I think so - maybe those ones would be something that you'd enjoy more than bigger and busier gigs? slight_smile 

Oh yes I also enjoy private events with friends where we all bring different types of food and drinks! I don't have these very often though but last summer I went to a picnic in Hyde Park where many of my friends and colleagues came and everyone brought some food/snacks. slight_smile

@Cleoriff 100's of gigs... a super gig goer! Happy Dance 60s and 70s weekends sound like fun. Do people tend to dress up according to the theme, e.g. one of those "beehive" hairdos for the 60s event? grin

@jonsie What kind of headphones are you using for listening to music? Do they have any specific features?

Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Marjo

Yes a lot do dress up. 60's mini skirt, white boots, beehives.

70's Flower power outfits, bellbottom trousers, glittery wigs and platform boots...

or some dress up as punks.. joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Marjo

Yes a lot do dress up. 60's mini skirt, white boots, beehives.

70's Flower power outfits, bellbottom trousers, glittery wigs and platform boots...

or some dress up as punks.. joy

Fantastic

Message 7 of 7