Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority Music Highlights - 29th March Onwards

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hello everybody! In @RafaC's absence, I'll be attempting to fill his (dancing) shoes with my version of this week's Priority Music Highlights 👞🎵.

So, with that being said, let's see who is featured on the O2 Priority website this week 🎟.

Fontaines D.C.

love this band. Their childhood was small, but, they're going to be big

I've managed to catch this band live a couple of times, maybe? Definitely once, at Glastonbury festival. An Irish post-punk band that was formed in Dublin, in 2017. Often played on Radio 6 Music, their third album is due for release on the 22 April! If you like gritty, poetic lyrics and sounds, I suggest giving them a listen.

They're touring in November! Going to places such as Hull, Leeds, Manchester and more.

Listen today and cop some tickets 😆. See you in the moshpits*.

View Fontaines D.C. tickets

The Avalanches

Another great band. A lot different to the punk above...

Formed in 1997, but dependent on the song you're listening to, you may think they're from the 70s, 80s, or the year 3000 😅. Electronic, fun, a lot of collaborations! They're a good band, still going strong, that I think anyone can enjoy. Make sure to listen to a good few songs before deciding if you like them or not. A lot of variety.

They got two dates in June, in Manchester and London. 

Check them out and see if you'd like to see them.

View The Avalanches tickets

Self Esteem

Rebecca Lucy Taylor came onto my radar a year ago when someone shared her album with me. I fell in love with the song I Do This All The Time.

Self Esteem creates the type of music that makes you feeeeeeeeeel. Lyrics that are modern and a bit punchy. You'll be moving your hips, but also pondering life itself  😂. I think that makes sense.

Experimental pop/indie-pop. Taylor's stage name comes from the evolution of her confidence in her early 20s. She's now in her 30s and smashing it musically 💥.

This is a Birmingham show and a bit far in advance (almost a year from now on). But, grab the tickets, put it in your calendar and forget about it. Expect a nice surprise early next year then.

View Self Esteem tickets

I hope you like the look of them! Let me know if you have any favourites or whatnot. Maybe, a punk band recommendation? I can never get enough. Cheers 🤗.

*I doubt I'll be in the moshpits 🤣.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122796 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

As you were talking about Mosh pits, I must mention that I loved The Prodigy. The death of Keith Flint hit me very hard. I took my lads and their partners to see them in 2016 at the Birmingham NIA.

One of the best nights of my life. 😂

I managed to get down the front, (my lads didn't) The bouncers who stood by the barrier seemed amazed that someone of my age was at the gig. 😂 The band came on stage and the crowd went mad. One bouncer took a look at me and without any request, he lifted me over the barrier to 'safety'. It was great really as I was so close to the band. (My boys were frantic as they couldn't see me.)

They made their way down to the front and were relieved to see me, fit and well being looked after by a big burly bouncer.

Later on there was a mosh pit. I avoided that but it was great to see.

The Prodigy are starting their first tour this year, without Keith Flint. Not sure it will be the same though.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Amazing, @Cleoriff 🤣. I'm glad you were able to show your lads how it's done 😉😂.

Yes, I'm a big fan too and it is totally tragic what happened to Keith Flint. I'm sure they'll honour him in a big way, but it'll never be the same without him either. As long as they're happy doing it. 

Message 3 of 9

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@lewys-gp Thanks for stepping in and doing a brilliant PMH this week mate!

I really really liked the Avalanches track and music video you've selected, I'll definitely check their albums, thanks for that!

And @Cleoriff I love your anecdote of that Prodigy gig, just brilliant, thanks for sharing! My parents are much like you, they do like to party and they love gigs as well. It was always a blast when they joined me to attend a gig of a band we both love.

I'm a fan of The Prodigy  too and it was really sad to hear about Keith Flint. I've been to one of their gigs and at that time (2009), I was working full-time whilst studying at the uni. I remember that it was a Friday and after leaving work I had to take an Economics test (I've majored in Social Sciences, but I had a few classes focused on Economics). I was knackered as it was the end of a very demanding week, and was feeling half-sad that I was in such a state to attend a Prodigy gig after waiting for so long to see them live.
But the moment they started playing, it was like someone has supercharged me, I've danced the whole gig out. Maxim's and Flint's energy was so contagious that they revamped me, so much so that after the gig (and I've literally danced through the whole of it) I met a mate and went to a party house 😂

All that week's toll vanished into thin air because of them, I'll never forget.

Message 4 of 9

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Amazing story, @RafaC. I managed to see them once in Cardiff, and it was an epic gig. Thinking about it, maybe it was in 2016, so the same tour as when @Cleoriff saw them 🤔😃.

Btw, I don't think I've ever heard of a party house before either 👀😂. Assuming it's the same as a house party 😉!

Message 5 of 9

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@lewys-gp it was a house party in a party house actually. In some platforms like AirBnb, you can book a house that is destined for parties and events only, and that was the case on that night. I don't think we had AirBnb in Brazil back then, not sure to be honest, but someone somehow did book one of those at the time.

Message 6 of 9

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Very interesting, @RafaC!

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122796 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

What a great story about the Prodigy @RafaC. There are a few groups who have the ability to energise you as soon as they play the opening chord of their gigs. A few who come to mind are The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen, ELO and a group we followed in the 70's called The Heavy Metal Kids. Generally just love music. My husband was a DJ in his spare time and had plenty of work as he was so good. His disco was called Timewarp. 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see any of those been you've cited live @Cleoriff, but I bet you're right, they must revitalise you instantly slight_smile

I've never head about The Heavy Metal Kids, I will look for their records! 
So nice to hear about your husband, great name for a disco 🕺

Message 9 of 9