Did you mean: 

Priority Music Highlights - 16th May Onwards

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hello everyone!

Time to check out some of the artists featured on the O2 Priority website this week 📯

The man of the moment, the great Kendrick Lamar is the first artists to be highlighted this week.

He's just release the third-in-a-row universally critically-acclaimed album (did you know that his last, the brilliant Damn, became the first non-classical and non-jazz album to be awarded the Pulizter?) which first single can be heard below. Before that, he was responsible for the soundtrack of the blockbuster-hit that was Black Panther.

Here's the video for his latest single N95:

You can listen to Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers on Apple Music. Tickets for his UK Tour are going to be available Thursday from 10:00am.

Next we have Caroline Polachek. She's collaborated with Charli XCX and has recently released her latest single, Billions, which you can listen to here:

Her Apple Music artist page is full of great content if you want to listen, or watch, more music by her.
Tickets for her concert at the O2 Academy in Brixton are going to be available on Wednesday 11:00am.

We finish up this week's highlights with the alternative metal band Deftones. They will be touring their latest release, Ohms, after it being postponed twice due to the pandemic. 

As a fan of the first Matrix movie (and of its soundtrack), whenever I hear the name Deftones I remember immediately of this tune:

If you want to check more tunes, the Apple Music Essentials playlist is a great place to start.
Tickets for their concert in London are going to be available tomorrow 9:00am.

As there are some many options of shows on Priority, and artists from so many different genres, it's actually very hard to pick just three of them to highlight here on the community. Hope that you guys have discovered or rediscovered an artist or band; or have found out about the gig of an artist you already love in this post! Please leave your comment if you enjoyed any of the songs shared above slight_smile

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sorry to say @RafaC I'm not keen on any of them. Is it an age thing? I hope not, as I pride myself on having a very eclectic taste in music.  I don't think any of them have any musical content of note.

I always hear a new group or singer and wonder if I could sit through a whole concert. If the answer is no, then they become instantly forgettable I'm afraid.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

I’m sorry that you didn’t like any of the highlighted musicians this week @Cleoriff. You’ve mentioned age, but I don’t think it’s related to that, perhaps it’s more related to musical taste?

Thanks for commenting on the post anyway, all opinions are welcome. That way of measuring if you really like something is very interesting. I'm curious: when you listen to a new artist for the first time, do you try to listen to their whole album or just one song? And since you’ve mentioned age, I’d like to know if you like any contemporary musicians or bands?

Being a Kendrick Lamar fan, I have to say I don’t agree with you regarding any of them having any musical content of note. I think that that man is a mastermind in his musical style and have added many innovations production, conceptual and lyric-wise to the field. His abilities as a rapper are second to none. As I’ve mentioned on the post, he was the first non-classical and non-jazz musician to be awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Music  and not just that, but he has received 14 Grammy Awards, a Brit Award and an Academy Award nomination. Now, even if you don’t care too much about that type of accolade, those numbers must mean something.  

Perhaps you’ve said that because you don’t like rap/hip-hop music at all? 

And if you do like some rap music, I’m curious to know which artists are your favourites. I remember you saying that you like The Prodigy and whilst they’re not a hip-hop act per se, they do incorporate some elements of that genre into their music. Just asking because I like to talk about music slight_smile

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

In all honesty @RafaC, I only like one rapper and that's the wonderful Eminem.

Maybe if I heard more of Kendrick Lamar I may have a change of mind but I don't like the song you featured. I'm not saying he's not superb, all the awards he has won prove that he is.

I don't like jazz. I don't care who it is, or what type of jazz they play, it bores me to tears.

Yes I love The Prodigy but their music is electronic punk/dance music. They are a group who sweep the venue with high octane energy. Superb band. Not sure what they will be like now, as they have lost Keith Flint.

You ask me if I like any contemporary artists. Difficult to answer as your idea of contemporary artists might differ from mine.

Throw a few names into the discussion and I'll tell you if I like them (or not)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'll add here that despite my age I never liked Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams or any of that ilk. I was an Elvis fan in my teens and think the best band of all time was Queen, closely followed by The Who. Despite any up and coming bands of today, I will never change my mind on those two. I've been to many many concerts in my lifetime and enjoyed most of them.

My nephew, who now lives in Berlin, was at times a guitarist with Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, The Mission and Sisters of Mercy.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

As a rap fan, I'm glad to hear that you like at least one rapper 🎤
Yeah, I agree, maybe if you listen more to Kendrick you'd like him too. That song I've featured is not my favourite of his though, I've just shared because it's his latest single 😋

I do like jazz, but I get people who don't.

Love your description of The Prodigy, very on point 🎯

So as far as contemporary artists goes, I'll leave five names in here and you tell me if you like them or not (it's good for me to know this, if tickets for their gigs come up on Priority I can highlight them here): Celeste, Khruangbin, Cleo Sol, Solange, Tame Impala

I'm with you @Cleoriff, not a Sinatra fan myself too, despite the fact that my grandpa was a huge fan, so I grew up listening to a lot of his music. The two band names you've dropped there are hard to beat, two of the best ever most definitely. 

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@RafaC 

MMmmmmm

Time for truth. Hadn't heard of three of those so can't comment.

However, I do like Celeste. She has a weirdly hypnotic voice and have heard her sing Strange which I like.

Tame Impala, I have heard of and like some of their music but not all.

I'm probably not the best person to discuss contemporary artists with. Lol x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

RafaC
Former Staff
  • 1774 Posts
  • 157 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

So glad to hear you like Celeste! I think she's great, what a voice indeed!Strange is so beautiful, she delivers a very touching performance there. 

Tame Impala has many phases on their career, I think you'd probably like the early records where their sound was leaned more towards '60s and '70s psychedelia. 

Thanks for our comments and insights @Cleoriff, as I've said before, this is a subject I really like to talk about, so thanks for coming in and sharing your thoughts 😊

Message 8 of 8