Did you mean: 

Music festivals: yay or nay?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

From previous discussions, we know a lot of you have attended many gigs in the past and continue to do so every now and then. Going to see a single artist or band, for a few hours on one night, is however quite a different experience than attending a festival, another type of very popular gig out there. 

Today we wanted to mix things up and ask you what experience, if any, you have with music festivals, and what your thoughts on them were. Happy Dance

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 08.40.41.png

• Have you attended any music festivals in the UK or overseas in the past, or are you planning on going to one?

• In general, would you prefer attending a one-off gig or a music festival? Does it depend on the music genre/artists?

• What do you think of music festivals now, as opposed to what they used to be?

We'd love to know all about your music festivals views and experiences, let us know in the comments! 

Dance

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff  @Mi-Amigo 

Very interesting, the prices have gone up quite a lot open_mouth

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 11 of 30

kiszcat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've never been that drawn to festivals as I'm very boring and don't like crowds and I don't drink. So drunk crowds really un nerve me! The first T in The Park was just a few miles away from where I lived so being a teenager then I went down for a look and watched Alanis Morrisette from a tree outside the site. 😊

I am a huge music fan and used to like going to concerts but I suffer badly with anxiety now so I can't take it. Which is a real pity . I love cheesy pop and have been a Take That fan since I was about 12. I've been to see Steps, TT and Robbie Williams a few times .I went to a Smash Hits gig and have also seen some 'grown up' gigs too like OMD .🤣

Message 12 of 30

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@kiszcat I'm not big on crowds either, I get what you mean! 

You've been to some great gigs, I'm sorry to hear you can't go to concerts anymore due to anxiety ... do you enjoy watching recorded gigs instead, or just listen to music without thinking too much of the live aspect anymore? Is there any newer artist that you'd love to see live if you could?

We have a discussion here around alternatives to attending a concert, you migth find it interesting or ind a thing or two to say on the different options! nerd

signature

Message 13 of 30

kiszcat
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@EmilieT I love DVDs or Blu-ray of concerts and when Take That tour they always stream one live to cinemas all over the world so I make myself go to that. I have music on pretty much all the time. I use Spotify and more recently have a few Echo speakers in the house so play it on them. Absolutely fantastic!
Message 14 of 30

MusicIan
Level 4: Observant
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@kiszcat its rotten when a part of your brain starts distorting your whole perception and screwing your life up. It’s a ****** and deserves a topic all on its own. Hope you’ve got some good mates around you. They helped me. Well, my mates did. Not your mates....

Any road up.

I am so old that I went to the Isle of Wight festival and saw and heard Bob Dylan (eventually - he was ages late), Hendrix, The Who, etc in 1969. It seemed everybody famous in the late 60s was there.

Since then I’ve been to, and played at, a lot of festivals, some just lovely, while others left me cold. So many people, so many chemical toilets.......

One of the drawbacks of music festivals for me is that I get a kind of music saturation. Sensory overload. Does anyone else find this? Have I missed someone else mentioning it? By Sunday night I just want to go home. But you can’t because the Sunday night headline act is usually the biggie. And you’ve paid all that money.

So. Music festivals: yay or nay? Depends.

God, with my waffling indecisiveness I should be in the House of Commons.

Message 15 of 30

kiszcat
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MusicIan I'm kinda uses to it to be honest, have suffered mental health problems as long as I can remember. I just dealt with it better when I was younger! 😂 My problem is I don't like people very much! 😂 I do have a circle of good friends and my other half. I think when you have issues it certainly separates the wheat from the chaff and you find out who your real friends are.
You've played at festivals? That is just awesome. All my life I wanted to be a singer. There's nothing like that feeling of performing. I did a bit of theatre for a few years in my late teens/early 20's. I loved it. Best feeling ever. What do you play? I can play guitar quite badly and like to dabble with a keyboard but I really should just stick to singing! 😂😂
Message 16 of 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@MusicIan 

I get what you mean by sensory overload and I have never been to a festival. I love music but hate camping.

However my sons go to festivals and the eldest does Glastonbury and has done for years. Even though he still loves it, he feels it has got too big. Too much to see and do... all packed into 4 days.

When he gets home, he complains of feeling 'jet lagged', though I think it's sensory overload.

We did want to go to the Isle of Wight festival in 1969, though had to miss it as the son (who now goes to Glastonbury) was only a year old. No one wanted him for 4 days joy

Never mind, we hve seen The Who more times than I care to mention, as well as other acts every chance we got.

Now we go to Rock and Roll 60's weekends in Brean and Yarmouth twice a year. Amazing how many groups are still going. Not all with original members but still pretty good.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 30

MusicIan
Level 4: Observant
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@kiszcat thanks for your interest - I play keys and guitar, have my own studio and run a community choir. I also play for a dementia group, and another for people with mental health issues, and am stand in for a group with various issues like Downes Syndrome and Autism. I get a huge buzz putting back in what I got out of playing and making my living from music. I’ve met and worked with some great names. But nothing - nothing gets to me like watching the light come on in someone’s eyes when music cuts through the fog and a smile breaking out. Or accompanying and directing a choir of people and watching self respect and self confidence blossoming on faces that looked all but defeated by debt, family or health issues. And I’m supposed to be putting stuff back.

Message 18 of 30

kiszcat
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MusicIan Omg! That is amazing! I can imagine how rewarding that must be! I really don't think I could have gotten through some times in life without music so I know how healing, comforting or exciting it can be. I listen to music whatever mood I'm in and it can change everything! I've also been blown away recently by the young actors on TV with Downs, they are amazing! My best friend works for Sense Scotland so she has also opened my eyes to something I didn't know much about. Doing what you do must be fantastic.
@Cleoriff I think some of the smaller weekends that are about now look excellent! I'd love to go to an 80's one I think. I have a very eclectic music taste so I think I'd love the 60's rock and roll too!
Message 19 of 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@kiszcat 

The organisers of these weekends do 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

Along with that they do an Elvis week in Memphis.

Those in the UK are held at Unity Park in Brean Sands. You stay in caravans and the acts are on from 2-5pm, then start again with more acts from 8-12mn.

So we start on Friday and it finishes Sun night.

We travel home on the Monday.

Brilliant and great value for money. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 30