Did you mean: 

Music festivals: yay or nay?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

From previous discussions, we know a lot of you have attended many gigs in the past and continue to do so every now and then. Going to see a single artist or band, for a few hours on one night, is however quite a different experience than attending a festival, another type of very popular gig out there. 

Today we wanted to mix things up and ask you what experience, if any, you have with music festivals, and what your thoughts on them were. Happy Dance

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 08.40.41.png

• Have you attended any music festivals in the UK or overseas in the past, or are you planning on going to one?

• In general, would you prefer attending a one-off gig or a music festival? Does it depend on the music genre/artists?

• What do you think of music festivals now, as opposed to what they used to be?

We'd love to know all about your music festivals views and experiences, let us know in the comments! 

Dance

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@EmilieT 

As much as I love music I have never been to a festival (except one in Spain which was quite different)

However, I have lived my festival life vicariously through my sons.

The eldest has attended Glastonbury every year since 'the start of time'. It is always shown on all BBC channels so I can watch some of it. I am aware that watching it isn't the same as experiencing it though

He has been unlucky NOT to get tickets for the last two, so instead takes a trip to Goa to get over his disappointment.

The youngest has been to Glastonbury once, but prefers Reading and Leeds.

They both have been to Bestival, Download and Creamfields. Not forgetting the Isle Of Wight.

I think festivals have got better in terms of artists, but the cost is very prohibitive.

My eldest has got into Glastonbury without a ticket (before the high price and security)  by climbing through a fence. ie one would pay and set up camp by the fence, others would climb through.

You didn't need wristbands then...

Funny to think that when Glastonbury first started in 1970. It used to be free...

I think they should continue. Some people prefer to go to a festival as opposed to a holiday. In fact this IS their holiday.

My biggest regret is never attending a UK festival when I was young enough.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 30

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 24897 Posts
  • 797 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much @EmilieT for a brilliant topic.

I went to Reading Festival in 1975, 1976, 1977, and 1978.

Among the bands in 1975 were The Heavy Metal Kids

hmk-2-reading-75-900.jpg

I didn`t even know this pic existed (I didn`t take it) until I did a google search.

Amazingly that is the back of @Mi-Amigo `s head right in front of Gary Holton of HMK.

Also went to Knebworth and saw The Rolling Stones.

Memories of the rain, tents, a drop too much alcohol, fun with friends, and brilliant sounds.

Thank you for bringing back thoughts of happy times.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

We knew HMK were on at Reading in 1975 @Mi-Amigo 

Though with our boys being 5 and 7 there was no way we were getting to see them.

Mum and Dad were happy to babysit, but on selected occasions and NOT for longer than one day. Lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 30

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff 

Your sons have been to so many music festivals, and some of the biggest names as well, it's quite impressive! smiley

If you could have picked one to go to yourself, which one do you reckon you'd have attended? Would it be more dependant on the line-up, or is there one festival you'd have loved to go to regardless of the specific schedule?

@Mi-Amigo 

That's quite an extensive music festival history you have open_mouth I lived in Reading for just under a year, and almost went to the Reading festival at that time but it was happening over the same weekend as England's Medieval Festival which I opted for ... that was brilliant so I have no regrets, but it was probably my best chance to attend Reading festival ever.

I love that you found a photo of the back of your head! joy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 5 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@EmilieT 

If I could have chosen any festival it would have been where The Prodigy were appearing. 

or The HMK, or The Who, or Foo Fighters.

Mainly 1986 when Queen rocked Knebworth (after their success at Band Aid).

Queen Knebworth.GIF

Notice the price please. £14.50!!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 30

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

All great line-up choices @CleoriffConfused

I can't believe the price though, that's so cheap! I have to say I'm not well versed into music festival ticket prices at all, but from going to a lot of gigs I know that I usually pay at least double of that for concert tickets.

signature

Message 7 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@EmilieT 

At The Who's last concert at the  NIA in Birmingham, the tickets were on sale for £65.00!!

I can remember seeing The Who back in the 60's for the equivalent of £1.50.

Just to put things into perspective, THE best festival in the world was Woodstock.

Held in the US in August 1969.

This is an original ticket stub. A 3 day ticket cost you $18.

Image result for woodstock tickets 1969

A 3 day ticket for Glastonbury this year will cost you £250+

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 30

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 24897 Posts
  • 797 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Amazing Woodstock ticket stub @Cleoriff 

It was then made a free festival with over 500,000!

Can`t see Glastonbury throwing the gates open to that many for free

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Amazing Woodstock ticket stub @Cleoriff 

It was then made a free festival with over 500,000!

Can`t see Glastonbury throwing the gates open to that many for free

True @Mi-Amigo 

Glastonbury is big business. According  to my son, it's like a city with all the different areas and stages.

Of course the acts will expect to get paid....

Even at these silly prices tickets are like gold.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 30