Did you mean: 

Music festivals: yay or nay?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

From previous discussions, we know a lot of you have attended many gigs in the past and continue to do so every now and then. Going to see a single artist or band, for a few hours on one night, is however quite a different experience than attending a festival, another type of very popular gig out there. 

Today we wanted to mix things up and ask you what experience, if any, you have with music festivals, and what your thoughts on them were. Happy Dance

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 08.40.41.png

• Have you attended any music festivals in the UK or overseas in the past, or are you planning on going to one?

• In general, would you prefer attending a one-off gig or a music festival? Does it depend on the music genre/artists?

• What do you think of music festivals now, as opposed to what they used to be?

We'd love to know all about your music festivals views and experiences, let us know in the comments! 

Dance

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I prefer intimate Gigs i.e. RoundHouse, (Camden) Indigo or Chelsea Hospital (Chelsea) etc.

Musical festivals give a sense of being covered in mud etc.

Big GIG Venues are either too high or can be sat too far away from the artist/s (they appear like ants!)

Message 21 of 30

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Anonymous  I've not been to the Indigo or Chelsea Hospital, but I went to the Roundhouse last year to see Videogameslive, and it was such a great venue!

There's a festival you might be interested in if you like small venues, it's called Camden Rocks. I've been attended myself (yet), but fromwhat I know it's spread over loads of different venues around North London and you basically pick and choose which artists you want to see and where over the period of the festival. So it wouldn't have that "muddy" vibe you mentioned wink

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 22 of 30

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've had experience of many different types of concerts.  Music festivals are great if the weather is good.  I've been to the old Monsters Of Rock back in the 90s, and it's newer incarnation Download Festival.  Also been to Glastonbury once.

I find the experience great, and good value for money.

Food and drink is usually a little overpriced, but the standard of food has improved over the years. Unlike the rip off rubbish you get at venues such as the Resorts World Arena (old NEC/LG/Genting Arena in Birmingham).

Thanks

Steve
Message 23 of 30

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@welshsteve76  I can imagine with a nice weather it could be rather enjoyable indeed! It sounds like you've been to quite a few, any favourite over the years? And if so, was it because of the line-up, location, atmosphere, or something else? Happy Dance

signature

Message 24 of 30

kiszcat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@EmilieT you just saying that just reminded me of a concert I went to in Hampden Park years ago. It was one of those ones like a mini festival with loads of acts and I make no apologies for saying it was pure cheesy pop! It was absolutely scorching that day (a rarity in Scotland! 😂) and I got SO burnt. I remember even the line of my parting got burnt! I had forgotten about that gig! 😂 It was fab!
Message 25 of 30

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

@welshsteve76  I can imagine with a nice weather it could be rather enjoyable indeed! It sounds like you've been to quite a few, any favourite over the years? And if so, was it because of the line-up, location, atmosphere, or something else? Happy Dance

The first proper one I went to was Monsters Of Rock in 1994. Back then it was all in one day, and this was the first year it had a second stage.

My favourite though was probably Download Festival in 2017, mainly because of the acts there.  I only went for the one day, and took my son along.

We spent the vast majority of the time at the main stage, watching, in order: Fozzy (Chris Jericho WWE wrestler's band), Orange Goblin, The Cadillac Three, In Flames, Airbourne, Steel Panther, Alter Bridge (main reason I went), and Aerosmith. Also saw a bit of Slayer in between the Alter Bridge and Aerosmith sets.  Also spent time just going around the various stalls selling clothing, food etc.  Was a great day weather wise, and the atmosphere among the crowd was great all day.

Thanks

Steve
Message 26 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to go to a lot of trad jazz & swing music festivals ... Isle of Bute, Keswick, Abersoch etc, even Fuerteventura in a November ... however the price is prohibitive now & my health would not stand the travel 

The 1st music concert I went to was The Moody Blues at what the group called The Cow Shed, I saw them last at the Arena NEC (National Exhibition Centre) Birmingham ... I can still recall Justin Hayward's voice 'floating' over the audience smiling

Thank you @kiszcat & @MusicIan for your insight into music & mental health issues ... I have Bi-Polar Disorder ... & ... either play a complede cd loud in the house ... or ... just one track to listen to quietly-like music

Message 27 of 30

MusicIan
Level 4: Observant
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous  @kiszcat  I ran the Music Vision Project for 15 years. Designed to develop self confidence and self esteem in people with a range of physical or mental health issues, it used music creation and performance at its core. We used to load up a bus, camp out and perform at music festivals, like Brampton Live. Music didn't cure anything but it made life a lot more bearable for many of them and they had a fantastic experience.

Some of the participants benefited enormously from the project and are now holding down full time jobs. One lady with more health issues than you can shake a stick at now has a degree in person centred counselling which she maintains is a direct result of her developing a sense of self belief. Actually, I'll finish off the post with a song we wrote together to the tune of "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" - ahem......

I've got some lovely pharmaceuticals

There they all are standing by me bed

Big ones small ones yellow black and red

Some the size of a grain of sand, some as big as yer 'ead......

Message 28 of 30

kiszcat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 22 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous Aww love, that must be hard for you. My friend has it too and it can be rough going at times. I have been tested but I don't suffer from it. I love my music to keep me company whatever state I'm in so I can totally relate!
@MusicIanThat's sounds amazing! I definitely think music had the power to help, heal and comfort. Just putting on the right track can give me a total change of outlook. Also getting out and about must have been a great experience. Re your song, it's very familiar! As I've said before, you know it's not great when they give you your meds in a carrier bag! 😂

Message 29 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @kiszcat & @MusicIan ... I used to love dancing to music, it made me so happy ... now I just listen to my music or tap my foot to the rhythm of the beat music

I have camped out at jazz festivals, with friends or by myself ... in good weather too smiling

Message 30 of 30