Did you mean: 

Gig Etiquette - what are the Do’s and Don’ts

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Going out to see a band can be one of the most fun nights of your life but there is some basic etiquette you should follow to make sure you have a good time and don't inadvertently spoil it for others. We've listed a few essential do's and don'ts for gigs below. cool

Don't - watch the show through your mobile phone screen! 

Taking a few snaps is fine but don't spend the entire gig staring at a phone screen. 

Do - arrive early! 

There's nothing worse then missing the start of the performance and it's bad form to block others view whilst you find your seat. 

Don't - Throw your drink! 

While it can be tempting when you're in the heat of the moment there's nothing worse for your fellow gig goers then being doused in sticky cold drinks.

Do - talk to the other gig-goers! 

You might find you have a lot in common and even make some new friends! 

Don't - turn up late and expect to get near the front! 

It's not fair to push your way through the dense crowd who took ages to get to a good spot. 

Do - Enjoy yourself! 

Probably the most inportant one on the list! 

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 15.44.54.png

What do you think of the above list? Is there anything missing you'd add? Feel free to mention your own Do's and don'ts in the comments below. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Martin-O2

It's right to say 'don't watch the gig through your phone', though it's perfectly acceptable to take a few pictures/videos if allowed. These create memories

I did speak to a couple of people when I went to see the Prodigy. The lass thought she was the eldest at the gig, until we got talking and she realised I was joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10763 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Martin-O2

I don't like crowds, pushing and shoving ~ not for me.

I was brought up to be considerate and respectful.

Regrettably I would not be able to enjoy myself

unless everyone was like @Cleoriff wink

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I totally agree on that one @Cleoriff. I don't see the point of traveling all the way to a live performance just to watch it through a tiny screen. I'm sure no one looks back at those videos either! 

I've experienced some rude shoving in the past @TallTrees. It's not hard to say 'excuse me' as you past. I tend to stick nearer the back of the venue these days! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 4 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I went to see the Who at the Manchester Arena. Anyone taking pictures or videos was yanked from the crowd by the many security guys and made to delete them from their phone or video camera (personal experience of this!). Anyone thinking of getting tickets to see them at the O2 should be made aware.The Who are fiercely protective of their copyright. At an outdoor gig they don't seem to bother as the crowd is too big to police.

Message 5 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

How about "Don't ring up your mates via speakerphone and start singing down it" and adding to the Don't throw drinks: "Find out where the toilets are first...."

Message 6 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10763 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Things have now turned "nasty" at these events @jonsie

They have their "copyright" I have my "right" not to spend my money there

No nice left now very sad 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie@TallTreesI've heard of similar tactics being used at gigs before but never experienced it. I think Prince was in the news a few years back for this. Personally I reckon it's a bit much. A grainy video from in the crowd is not going to have a major effect on a bands copyright and security being heavy handed always spoils the experience. 

That's a good one @sheepdog! And yes throwing any liquids is a big no no! nauseated_face

signature

Message 8 of 8