Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spoofed mobile number

terry56
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know this subject has been covered on earlier posts, but getting through to o2 support about my mobile number being used by someone other than myself is almost impossible at the moment, I have tried the various option as advised by O2 gurus without success

The question I need verifying is this, having had a number of calls saying my number has called and they are returning my call, what happens if my number is used to call a number that is not covered by my contract, i.e. a call abroad or a call to a non geographic number?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@terry56 They are only spoofing your number. They have not hacked into your account. If you're concerned, change your password.

Also take a look at this link: Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 5

terry56
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Bambino, I have read some of the articles on spoofing numbers, I'm just wondering how long it will be before someone comes up with a bit of malicious software the imitates your number and you end up with an enormous bill !
Thanks anyway.
Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

There's always that possibility, @terry56 You can only be as careful as the current technology allows. It seems that thieves and people with malicious intentions are always a step ahead.

If you haven't see these links, take a look, and report it to the police if you're concerned:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@terry56

In order to use a number and run up a bill, whilst you are using it , is currently not possible as it would require them to break the authentication chain, and the network database to allow 2 entries with the same hashes etc to do that, also bare in mind your number is linked to your sim card, and that is linked to the mobile phone network.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 5