Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change sims over in 2 phones

G4Grandad
Level 3: Thinker
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I have 2 O2 phones on PAYG. 1 an iPhone and the other in an old Galaxy Note 4. I want to move the Note sim into the iPhone(because it's my main phone but the Note is getting old and unreliable)and put the current iPhone sim into the Note as my backup phone. The Note had a mini sim but I can press the nano sim portion out to fit the iPhone. Can I simply switch the sim cards over without losing access to all my apps etc?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
You might need to set up any that rely on the number on the phone - like Whatsapp, iMessaging and any others.
Other than that you should be good to go.
You would also need to update the phone number in the iPhone (Settings > My phone > My number).
You will also need to get the iData bolt on added to the account/number that is going in the iPhone so that things like visual voicemail and roaming (abroad) data work.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
You might need to set up any that rely on the number on the phone - like Whatsapp, iMessaging and any others.
Other than that you should be good to go.
You would also need to update the phone number in the iPhone (Settings > My phone > My number).
You will also need to get the iData bolt on added to the account/number that is going in the iPhone so that things like visual voicemail and roaming (abroad) data work.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 2 of 8

G4Grandad
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for your prompt reply. I was dreading something like this. I only ever used Android until last year and switching sims to another Android would've been so easy. Perhaps it's just me but iPhones always seem such a pain in the ###. I was expecting the WhatsApp issue but it was bank and utility apps I was concerned about. I turned off voicemail on all my phones years ago. It's the first time I've ever heard of visual voicemail or iData bolt ons. I'm on PAYG Classic on both phones so I'm not sure how iData bolt on affects that.
Message 3 of 8

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
If you use iMessaging then you probably have the iData bolt on (I think - not an Apple user, so not 100%).
Bank and utility apps should be fine - they send a message to confirm ID, but aren't too worried about the number on the phone you are using.
If you don't use iMessage you should be fine.
Any other tips @MI5?

Message 4 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
iData doesn't work on PAYG.
iMessage doesn't require iData to work.
You can't easily transfer WhatsApp chats so not worth trying imho.
You'll need to let banks and utilities know you have a new number.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

G4Grandad
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thank you all so much! I've put off doing this for many months but I've got no excuses now.
Message 6 of 8

G4Grandad
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Well, I did it and after changing the phone number in WhatsApp everything is working fine in the iPhone except the My O2 app! O2 Priority is working fine but not My O2 even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app twice. It just tells me something went wrong and to come back later.
And the other sim in the Note 4 isn't being recognised at all, soon far.
Any ideas, please
Message 7 of 8

G4Grandad
  • 39 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Everything is working perfectly on both phones this morning. It's a relief to have my main number in the up to date iPhone and out of a phone stuck on Android 6, and August 2017 security update.
This Community is the best..Thanks again.
Message 8 of 8