Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Extra

SouthofHumber
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I have just moved from Giffgaff to O2. When I was on GiffGaff and went to McDonalds or some other place with O2 WiFi my phone would automatically connect to WiFi Extra. This was enabled via the GiffGaff app.

Now that I am on O2 I can no longer connect to WiFi Extra and have to mess about connecting to O2 WiFi which requires you to press connect to internet each time you use it and is not so secure.

Why can I not connect to WiFi Extra now that I am on O2 ?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10113 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions
@SouthofHumber

Both SSID's are secure, as its the same Access Point, just with an additional SSID (Network Name)

Did you port your number over by any chance or using the same device as you used on GiffGaff? If so you need to forget the wifi networks and then readd them to your device, as it will be using your previous details, which are now invalid.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@SouthofHumber 

Are you on an O2 contract or PAYG?

From what I remember, WiFi extra is only for O2 contract customers.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10113 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@MI5

Looks like they have changed it, Its now available to all o2 customers, it specifically mentions PAYG in the terms and conditions..

These terms, your Pay Monthly, Pay & Go, or Business Mobile Agreement, our Fair Usage Policy, O2 Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy together make up the terms and conditions (the "Terms") for Telefónica UK Limited's (‘O2’) Wifi Extra wireless communication service (the "Service"). Please read them carefully, so that you fully understand the Service that you are planning to use. The Terms explain what you can use the Service for and the ways in which we will provide the Service and how we will use data that we collect as part of your use of the Service.

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/about/extra

edited to changes wording for grammar

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Ah ok
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

SouthofHumber
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi, Thanks for your replies, I am on contact and have told it to forget the WiFi connections.

When I was on GiffGaff I could use it as it was enabled in the app and just connected automatically. Now I am on O2 I can find no way to use it, It asks for a password, As far as I know the O2 SIM should act as a password.

The only information I can find on O2 says it should connect automatically if I have a poor signal.

It just seems strange that you can use it on GiffGaff but not on O2.
Message 6 of 6