cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Can't I Upgrade My Tablet & Keep The Tariff I'm On?

Anno78
Level 3: Thinker
  • 45 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hello.

I would like to upgrade my Galaxy Tab S4 and buy a Galaxy Tab S7+ (S8 Ultra now not out till next year) but keep the same number and 250GB Pay Monthly tariff I'm on.  I asked about this in an O2 store last Friday, but was told that I couldn't buy a new Tablet outright.  I would have to go back to a 100GB tariff and pay around £45 a month until the cost of the device was paid off (or I could pay the remainder in full the next day).

Seeing as I couldn't keep my 250GB monthly tariff, I had to decide against making a purchase even though I have saved up money for a new device (and the S7+ was part of a sale until today). 

Why can't I keep the 250GB tariff I'm on and just upgrade to a new device (keeping the same number)?  When the tariff was upped from 100GB to 250GB, I was told, after asking carefully, that when I decided to upgrade I would be able to simply buy a new device, and the sim would be moved across whilst instore.

I'm very confused by this, and also a bit annoyed.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anno78 

O2 rules are that you need to choose a current tariff with any new device, but you can buy the tablet you want outright from anywhere and just put your sim in it, thus keeping your same tariff.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Anno78
  • 45 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

And here's where the confusion sets in.  When I upgraded my tariff to 250GB I was told that I could keep it, buy a new device in a O2 store with no new tariff, and have my current tariff + sim moved to the new device.

I asked several times just to be sure, as I didn't (and don't) want to lose this excellent deal, and the answer was the same. If this wasn't the case I wouldn't have changed from 100GB to 250GB.

And as I can't drive the closest stores available to me are O2, EE, and Apple.  Carphone Warehouse are now outside of my travel range (used to be one right next to my closest O2 shop), and supermarkets offer Wi-Fi Only tablets.

O2 is my only option for a new device. 

@MI5 wrote:

@Anno78 

O2 rules are that you need to choose a current tariff with any new device, but you can buy the tablet you want outright from anywhere and just put your sim in it, thus keeping your same tariff.

@MI5 wrote:

@Anno78 

Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Anno78 

With Global stock issues, and high demand o2 will only at the moment sell them on contract to people. 

But you can buy the Mobile version from John Lewis or Currys and online from Samsung, Clove etc

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anno78 

Check all the online retailers such as Amazon, Argos etc.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Anno78
  • 45 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I'm looking at all the options, but having the device from an O2 store would make it easier if there were technical issues.  Would I be able to bring the device into an O2 store for service if it wasn't bought in an O2 store.

Plus when I changed phones, all my old devices new apps and all the contacts were swapped to the new device for me.

There is one thing I have found out:  If an agreement is made, such as keeping a current tariff when buying/upgrading to a new device, that agreement must be honoured by the company in question, even if their policies change.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It's never been policy that you could upgrade and keep the same tariff. 

You can buy a new phone outright and keep your tariff, but never for upgrading.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7