cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the option for VoLTE on my Galaxy S20 on O2?

alex_ncfc85
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 34 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I recently upgraded to a Galaxy S20 with O2, but I have no option under "Mobile Networks" for VoLTE - there is a 4G calling option, but enabling doesn't seem to do anything - call quality is terrible. I keep getting signal/reception issues on my phone which I didn't have on my Huawei P20, so enabling VoLTE would hopefully help, but the option isn't there.

I have 4G/WIFI calling enabled on my O2 account, and I got the phone through O2 directly, so shouldn't there be a setting for this?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10123 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions
@alex_ncfc85

VoLTE is the same as 4G Calling, and if you have poor signal the quality can be just as bad as the drop back to 2G/3G, as although the bandwidth required for calls is lower the codec recommended is HD Voice hence the quality you are getting.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 7

alex_ncfc85
  • 34 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the quick reply.

Isn't there usually some indication in the status bar at the top when 4G/VoLTE calling is enabled? I see that on other people's phones when they send screenshots and stuff. I suppose that's why I wondered if it was actually working, as there is no visual indicator on my phone.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@alex_ncfc85 

Put phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi.

If you can then make a call, it's working.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10123 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions
@Alex_ncfc

Some phones do, some dont, i have never seen it on a Samsung, and i have a Voda Test sim from work and the only handset i have seen it appear on is my Cosmo Communicator, so I think it is an operator / handset thing.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:
@Alex_ncfc

Some phones do, some dont, i have never seen it on a Samsung, and i have a Voda Test sim from work and the only handset i have seen it appear on is my Cosmo Communicator, so I think it is an operator / handset thing.

I have it on my Samsung although it's on EE

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144076 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It's on my OP6 on O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7