Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Poor Mobile Signal

Foxcherrett
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife and I are both on O2 sim only Monthly contracts, but since recently moving house, our mobile signal is almost non existent inside the house, due to thick insulation on the external stone walls. We both activated WIFI Calling on the O2 App, however this doesn't appear to have made any difference? Are there any other solutions, or signal boosters we could consider, to save us having to venture into our garden to make or receive calls?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Foxcherrett 

There are no other options so you need to make sure your wifi calling is set up properly.

Firstly, do you have compatible phones ? https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Secondly, call O2 to ensure wifi calling is enabled on your account Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Then you can check your MyO2 to ensure it is switched on there.

Finally, find wifi calling in your phone settings and enable it on your handset.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Foxcherrett 

There are no other options so you need to make sure your wifi calling is set up properly.

Firstly, do you have compatible phones ? https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Secondly, call O2 to ensure wifi calling is enabled on your account Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Then you can check your MyO2 to ensure it is switched on there.

Finally, find wifi calling in your phone settings and enable it on your handset.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Foxcherrett
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5. 

I'm really sorry if I'm appearing a wee bit thick, but I've followed your guidance notes above, spoke with O2 Customer services, to ensure WIFI Calling is enabled on my account, and also activated it using my O2 App.

The only thing which I dont seem able to do is find WIFI calling on my phone settings, to then enable it on my handset?

I'm using a Motorola MOTO G5 S Plus handset, and on my O2 App, it says "you currently have WIFI and 4G Calling switched on".

How do I find WIFI Calling on my phone settings?

Thanks,

Jim

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Foxcherrett 

Unfortunately I don't know the location of wifi calling on every handset as it varies between phone types and firmware levels.

You could check your phone manual but start by looking in the phone app settings and also in the network and sim settings.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Foxcherrett 

On motorola it is in the Networks, Mobile Networks and then Advanced.. 

You can also look at this How to Choose an External 4G or 5G Mobile Broadband Antenna - ISPreview UK but you will have to pay for these yourself, and are not supported in any way shape or form by O2

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 11

Foxcherrett
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that Madasafish, the link to the article is very useful. Do you have any knowledge or experience of O2's Boostbox Femtocell device, which seems like a practical solution to our problem? 

Message 6 of 11

Foxcherrett
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

PS When I go into my Networks, Mobile Networks and then Advanced, I cant see any reference to WIFI Calling? I get the screen shown in the attached screenshot? Moto G5 S Plus Mobile Network Options - Oct 2021.jpg

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Foxcherrett 

The O2 boostbox is only available to business customers which is why I didn't suggest it.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Foxcherrett
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Madasafish, does the screenshot above help you understand why I cant see refence to WIFI Calling in my Mobile Network screen?

Message 9 of 11

Foxcherrett
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

M15, can I not purchase the O2 Boostbox from O2 even though I'm not on a Business tariff?

Message 10 of 11