Did you mean: 

Upgrading and existing tariff.

Mahler
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi.

I’m hoping some kind folk could answer a few queries I have. Thanks in advance.

After having the same phone for 5 years, with O2,  I have upgraded to a new phone and new tarrif - via the upgrade option in the O2 app.

What happens to my old tariff and existing phone number. Will my old tariff automatically be cancelled or will I have to do that myself.

And will my existing phone number automatically transfer to my new phone and tariff.

I realise these are pretty much newbie questions but we have to start somewhere eh?

Cheers.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Hi @Mahler: Congrats on the upgrade!

Good questions:

1. What happens to my old tariff and existing phone number. Will my old tariff automatically be cancelled or will I have to do that myself.

• If you upgraded with O2, your number remains as-is - your new phone will will arrive, then you need to either move your SIM from the old into the New phone, or you may receive a new SIM if the new phone only accepts a smaller SIM card than your old phone used.  Your old tarriff is ended on the day you upgrade - your first bill on the new tariff may be a little more than you expet as O2 close out and refund unused credit on the old tariff and start up the new tariff on that date.

2. And will my existing phone number automatically transfer to my new phone and tariff.

• Again, if you UPGRADED, your number is moved automatically to the new tariff.  If you purchased a new phone rather than an upgrade, it will come with a SIM and new number and you will have to get O2 to do a SIM SWAP, info in thisGuide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update.
  • Have you used the MyO2 app or registered through the O2 Web Site for access to your account? All this will appear on your MyO2 account.

Any other questions, pop them down here.

Enjoy your new phone, when it arrives!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Mahler See if there's anything in this guide for you: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

pgn
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Hi @Mahler: Congrats on the upgrade!

Good questions:

1. What happens to my old tariff and existing phone number. Will my old tariff automatically be cancelled or will I have to do that myself.

• If you upgraded with O2, your number remains as-is - your new phone will will arrive, then you need to either move your SIM from the old into the New phone, or you may receive a new SIM if the new phone only accepts a smaller SIM card than your old phone used.  Your old tarriff is ended on the day you upgrade - your first bill on the new tariff may be a little more than you expet as O2 close out and refund unused credit on the old tariff and start up the new tariff on that date.

2. And will my existing phone number automatically transfer to my new phone and tariff.

• Again, if you UPGRADED, your number is moved automatically to the new tariff.  If you purchased a new phone rather than an upgrade, it will come with a SIM and new number and you will have to get O2 to do a SIM SWAP, info in thisGuide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update.
  • Have you used the MyO2 app or registered through the O2 Web Site for access to your account? All this will appear on your MyO2 account.

Any other questions, pop them down here.

Enjoy your new phone, when it arrives!

Message 3 of 10

Mahler
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Bambino and pgn.

About 10 minutes after posting here my O2 account- via the app - had updated itself to the new tariff and it was clear that it was replacing the old one. Many thanks for the reply and clarification all the same.

I’m not sure if the new phone comes with a new sim, given your post I should think it won’t, as it is an upgrade,  all I will have to do is swap sims. Going from an iphone 6 to a 12 mini.  

Many thanks for both of your replies they have eased my mind a lot... pre new phone nerves..:)

Cheers.

Message 4 of 10

pgn
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Message 5 of 10

Mahler
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just to further my previous posts.

Phone arrived and everything set up nicely transfer wise - easy as pie.

The new phone did come with a sim but once inserted gave no signal. This is a 5 G sim, obviously there is no 5 G in my parts, but even switched to 4g in the phone settings still came up with no signal.

Existing sim is working fine so I am using that.

Any ideas why the new sim is not working, as once 5g is rolled out I would like to use it.

thanks in advance.
Message 6 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
The new sim is not active - everything is still on your old/current one.
If you want to use the new sim then you will need to do a sim swap.
@pgn posted a link to it earlier for you to follow.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Mahler 

You need to sim swap to activate the new 5g sim. 

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Mahler
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Brilliant! Thank you all.

All done.

For those that are not tech savvy, it is forums like this and helpful people like your yourselves that really help a lot.

Again, thanks a bunch.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 10