Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending emails is using my data allowance

Rusty3639
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have only had my iphone 7 for 3 weeks - my first smartphone and I am over 80 years old.

I have downloaded the gmail App and can receive and send emails - no problem. Trouble is as soon as I start typing an email to send my data allowance remaining figure drops. The O2 Shop said this was wrong but did not know why. I have Wi-Fi on on my phone and can use WhatsApp very well without charge.

My desk top computer does not use Wi-Fi but uses broadband - could this be the problem or am I doing something else wrong. I know little about IT matters or terms

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rusty3639 wrote:
Before I start writing I check My O2 and note figure for data remaining. Start writing the email but do not send it leaving it as a draft. Recheck My O2 data remaining

So how much has been used?

The email app is constantly checking for new emails so it's probably just polling the server rather than data being used to write an email unless you use an online spell checker at all?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Rusty3639 

Turn mobile data off and check WiFi Assist. Sometimes if the wifi signal isn't strong, mobile data will be used instead.

Edited to ask if you are on a contract or PAYG?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rusty3639 

Can I ask how you know your data allowance is dropping whilst writing an email?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

KGB55
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello Rusty, if your phone is on phone data i.e. not connected to WiFi and your data allowance is being used. Then here are a few things you can do to possible solve the problem.
1. Check if you have turned on ‘Background App Refresh’ in iPhone settings. Turn it off for Apps where you don’t need it.
2. Double tap home button on iPhone 7 and you can swipe applications to close them
3. Your Gmail App while typing an email could be downloading email in the background consuming data.
4. If all of the above is not resolving your problem. Then go to your ‘Mail’ or Gmail App settings on your iPhone and turn off ‘Mobile Data’ under ‘Allow Mail to access’ category and see if that helps.

These are some of the things that could be consuming data and may help alleviate the issue
Message 4 of 10

Rusty3639
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have turned mobile data off but cannot find WiFi Assist and what should I do with it if I find it?
I am on a contract
Message 5 of 10

Rusty3639
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Before I start writing I check My O2 and note figure for data remaining. Start writing the email but do not send it leaving it as a draft. Recheck My O2 data remaining
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rusty3639 wrote:

So how much has been used?

The email app is constantly checking for new emails so it's probably just polling the server rather than data being used to write an email unless you use an online spell checker at all?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Rusty3639
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Having turned off Mobile Data as instructed I can now send emails without using any of my Data Allowance. Sincere thanks to O2 Community for the help. Problem resolved.
Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Rusty3639 

Good news thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You’re welcome

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10