Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re unlocking an old phone

Su1234
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a new phone and a new contract with O2 and kept my number. I gave my old phone to my grandson for his first day back at school...but it doesn't work as they don't have an O2 sim. I read that you go into the my O2 app to unlock the old phone, but that phone has been wiped and I don't live near them to do anything with it. I wondered if I would have a problem with my new phone (and new contract) if I took my sim out and put it back in the old phone anyway...can anyone please advise? I started a call with O2 but abandoned it when they started asking if I was talking about the phone I was on, as I didn't want anything to happen to my new phone!

Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Su1234 

You should get an email and or a text to tell you it's unlocked.

You then just put a none O2 sim in it.

Nothing else, no codes, no secret menus, nothing.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Su1234

Depending on how old the phone is it should be unlocked already. Have they tried a non o2 sim card in it?

If it is locked then you need the IMEI number (ask your grandson or their parents to type *#06# into the phones dialer

You will then need to complete the form mentioned in this guide https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-networ...

o2 will then send instructions to your email with how to unlock the phone for all networks

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 29

Su1234
  • 26 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your  help, I'll email the instructions to my daughter to try that and hope it doesn't take too long. They tried a sim in it and it said it was locked on O2. It's an old 6s. Fingers crossed slight_smile

Message 3 of 29

Su1234
  • 26 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I decided to ring O2 to see if they could speed up the unlocking - I gave them the IMEI number and they said they had filled out the request to get Apple to do it within three days. They said I would receive email confirmation when it was done. Three days have passed though and I haven't received an email and it is still locked.

Message 4 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Su1234 

Check the addition help steps here Guide: Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 29

Su1234
  • 26 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi and thanks again. Well I rang O2 to do it for me because I can't figure out how to fill out the form myself, they said they did it so I don't know if I should do it again too. However, it asks what tariff I'm on and I'm not on any tariff on that phone any more, it's an old phone now. Also, if I put in the number I used on that phone, it doesn't have that number any more as I am using that number on my new phone? Not sure what to do...If I can get the phone back off my grandson, and if I put my sim card back into that phone, would I be able to unlock it myself that way?

Message 6 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Su1234 

You only need the details of the phone when you used it on O2.

It doesn't matter what the number is attached to now. 

These are the additional steps you may need to follow:

Note for iPhones:

If you’ve already requested an unlock for your iPhone but you feel it hasn’t worked, try the following:

1) Insert a non-O2 SIM in the phone

2) Connect to Wi-Fi

3) Go to Settings > General > About, and enter your Apple ID and password, and you should be good to go.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 29

Su1234
  • 26 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah, I'm still using that number on O2. My daughter has inserted a new sim and the phone is charged up, but the screen is just black and it won't let her do anything at all?

Message 8 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Su1234 

It shouldn't be black. It should boot up to the welcome screen.

Sounds like it has a fault tbh.

Might be a good idea to get it checked by Apple https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Currently using:
Message 9 of 29

Su1234
  • 26 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh she just sent me a screenshot and it is black, but it has a message on it and it says 'sim not supported'. I guess I do have to put my sim card in it then if it will only accept O2.

Message 10 of 29