Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer offline message when it isn’t!

AOKR
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
My phone will not connect to my Epsom printer and gives the message “printer offline” but it isn’t and my other phone prints normally -it is just my main phone that won’t ( I-phone XR ) any ideas why only this phone won’t print? It just started yesterday for no reason?
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AOKR
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
This is the third time that I have tried to send this message of thanks!!!! All is now working!! Yay! I slightly misread your message and put the powered off phone next to the ROUTER rather than the printer but lo and behold it is now working!! Great! Thank you so much! 5 stars for you and 5 stars for the O2 Community service now everything else at O2 seems to be offline! Thank you so very very much! Have tested by printing three documents and all is well! Now to try again to get this message to you! Thanks again AOKR -Kent

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Assuming all 3 devices are on the same WiFi network, @AOKR :

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-add-printer-to-iphone

(note your WiFi router may actually have 2 WiFi networks, a 5GHz and a 2.4GHz, make sure all 3 devices are on the same one!) 

Message 2 of 9

AOKR
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
How do I do that?
Message 3 of 9

pgn
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

This can involve fiddling with your WiFi router if it is a dual-band model to separate the 5GHz from the 2.4GHz signals, so they have uniquely identifiable SSIDs. Before going there, you should be able to tell which signal each phone is using, to be sure this is the source of your issues. My phone (android) shows the signal type I am using - does the iPhone, each of them, offer similar info ? 

On mine, left red box shows the 2.4GHz Network Settings, the right green box shows the 5GHz one. Note how I have added 5G to the partially-obscured SSID at the top of the right photo. 

If you are sure your phones are each using a different signal frequency, then we can figure out how to modify your WiFi router to separate the 2 different signals. 

With me up to now, @AOKR

composite_15920438586418__01.jpg

Message 4 of 9

AOKR
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Sorry! Totally lost by all that! At 74 although active I do not have a strong computer/ phone knowledge! I usually go to the O2 shop or chat online to try to get a solution and am worried that if I fiddle with my phone I will end up making it worse rather than better. It has been working perfectly all right for ages and suddenly went wrong yesterday. I was hoping that overnight it would all clear but my XR still won’t print where my old SE prints quite happily. Feel the fault must be in the phone rather than in the router but I am no technophobe! Thanks for trying to help but that did lose me I am afraid! Thanks AOKR
Message 5 of 9

pgn
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

If all worked fine up to yesterday, @AOKR, have you completely powered-off your XR phone to see if it comes back on OK? You might want to do this whilst near the printer, to increase the chances of the XR getting the same SSID/WiFi network as your printer is using for its WiFi.

Message 6 of 9

AOKR
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
This is the third time that I have tried to send this message of thanks!!!! All is now working!! Yay! I slightly misread your message and put the powered off phone next to the ROUTER rather than the printer but lo and behold it is now working!! Great! Thank you so much! 5 stars for you and 5 stars for the O2 Community service now everything else at O2 seems to be offline! Thank you so very very much! Have tested by printing three documents and all is well! Now to try again to get this message to you! Thanks again AOKR -Kent
Message 7 of 9

AOKR
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I actually think it went this time! Well done to you! KR
Message 8 of 9

pgn
  • 35211 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
You're welcome! Glad you got it working again, @AOKR.
Message 9 of 9