Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor call quality and often no signal

mike2129
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,  I live in the S10 area of Sheffield and the O2 signal checker suggests I have complete 4G coverage (indoor and outdoor).  But this is definatly not the case, as I cann't even make call in most areas inside the building and 4G is as bad.

I live in a hotel that is surrounded by trees and quite tall student flats.

I need to be able to use 4G hotspot and to make and receive calls at my desk.  What is the solution?

Thanks,

Mike

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @mike2129 

Have a look at this article about hotspots and tethering. It tells you all you need to know

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2499772/how-to-use-a-smartphone-as-a-mobile-hotspot.html 

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

mike2129
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Cleoriff,

The issue is the poor signal/data where I am based (even though I am in the middle of a large city).  Is there a solution to this?  Or can you tell me if your engineers are fixing a mast in my area: S10 3ER.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @mike2129 

O2 will not give timescales for fixing masts. They have problems with getting parts due to lack of transport drivers etc etc but if you contact O2 they may be able to help with a gesture of goodwill.

Another guide re network issues here Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@mike2129 

S10 is not the middle of Sheffield, its on the outskirts. 

The problem is that they keep building more and more student flats without any consideration for the infrastructure, and as mobile phones use radio waves that have to pass through all those new flats then to you are going to struggle on all networkw. 

The number of students in that area also doesn't help either and nor does the topography of the area. 

(I am Sheffield Born and bred and know the S10 area)

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 8

mike2129
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks mad,

Sounds like I need to go back to a landline or a place with good wifi - which I can make calls over.  If the problem is the flats and the hills, that's a long-term issue!

Does anyone have a hardware solution i.e. some type of signal booster?  Or should I ask for a top floor flat??

Thanks,

Mike

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@mike2129  You won't get a signal booster unless you are a business customer I'm afraid.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@mike2129 

Sheffield Uni's plans are to build, build, build... slight_smile

O would ask for a top floor flat or go to one of the excellent coffee shops in Broomhill or in Town slight_smile 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 8