Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Confused33 

Not if it's a 2g only phone.

You'll need a giffgaff sim for that.

www.giffgaff.com

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Confused33 

Not if it's a 2g only phone.

You'll need a giffgaff sim for that.

www.giffgaff.com

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Confused33
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank-you!

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Welcome

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Confused33

O2 sim cards do work in 2G phones, i have one that gets used in a Nokia 8810 and a Nokia 6150 when I need to (and thats with my 5G sim card's both Consumer and Enterprise)

You may need a sim adaptor...
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 10

Confused33
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks...I am now confused by the different answers. Will have to see if I can cobble together an old phone with my current O2 SIM and see what happens. I need a new SIM as I am trying to get a simple mobile for my elderly mother (so 2G) and just want a low cost unlimited call tariff (£8 on O2) although giff gaff do unlimited calls at £6 per month. I'd hoped not to go to giffgaff as I like to have the option of calling support...however, my experience of customers service at O2 today has been appalling so maybe it's not worth pursuing and I should just go with giffgaff which seems to be O2 anyway I believe. 

Thanks for the very prompt replies!

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Confused33 

giffgaff is the same as O2 but cheaper and with better customer service (from the forum support). 

You can also control more settings in the giffgaff control panel rather than having to queue for hours waiting for someone to answer your call.

You will have issues with an older 2g phone, maybe not on a newer one, but I have to use a giffgaff sim in my old StarTac and Razr phones.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Confused33 I'd go with the advice of @madasaf1sh 

Here's an article that might be of interest to you: 2G may not be switched off in the UK for another decade | TechRadar

Being able to call O2 support isn't all it's cracked up to be. These days it's practically non-existent. Go with GiffGaff and save a few bob. If you have any questions about anything you can always ask here. GiffGaff has a community too.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 10

Confused33
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks All! 

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10