Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 E-Sim and Apple Upgrade Program

Edders
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Im part of the Apple upgrade program and as such due an upgrade (Sataruday)

My current phone has an E-sim and the new phone will also us a O2 E-sim

the process with Apple is to and over my old phone and then I get the new phone, however my reading suggests I need both teh old phone and new in order to transer my number to a new E-Sim

is there anything I can do to avoid needing both the old and the new phones (dont fancy hanging around the Apple store for hours)

Thanks

Mike

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Edders 

Assuming your eSim is with O2 you just need a new eSim pack from any o2 store or by calling O2.

All numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
Or 202 from your O2 mobile.
Advice from an O2 Guru to get through:
When you call 202, you will be asked for the reason you are calling.
Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
You can also try saying "Upgrade" or "Fraud" to be connected to an advisor.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Edders
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the quick reply, Ive already ordered a new E-Sim its more the process of transfering from old E-Sim to new E-sim without access to the old device (with the old E-Sim)

Thanks

Mike

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Edders 

As far as I am aware, you just scan the new QR code?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Edders
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The following from O2's website - Seems to suggest theres atleast one text message involved

Upgrading your device with esim

Unlike a physical sim card, esim profiles can’t be moved from one device to another. This is to keep esim profiles secure and prevent them from being copied.

• When you upgrade to a new esim device, you’ll also need to get a new 4G or 5G esim pack.
  • Next, using the instructions below, install the new esim in your new device. Keep your old device and esim where they are for now.
  • Finally, request a sim swap from from your old esim to your new one. You can request a sim swap here. If you’re a business customer, you can swap your sim using MyO2 Business.

During the upgrade process, we’ll need to send you some texts. If possible, you’ll need to keep your old device nearby until the sim swap is complete and your new device is active. Once it’s all complete and you’ve copied all your data to your new device, you can remove the esim profile from your old device.

Link Here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/esim

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Edders 

A sim swap usually takes mins to complete, so the process of switching should be virtually instant.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Edders
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks, Ill let you know how I get on on Saturday

Mike
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
You're welcome slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Edders
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So I ended up going into the O2 store next door to the Apple shop and they did an ESim switch for me, they did say I could have done this over the phone but its was quicker to do it in the store

Thanks

Mike
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144149 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

All good thumbsup

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10