cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving some texts (verification codes, some texts from companies etc.)

cantharella
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Suddenly out of the blue I started having problems with receiving some text. Mostly it affects verification codes sent as a part of 2 step authentication - most of the time I don't get them all, sometimes they come a few hours later. I also had a few other texts that I was meant to receive but didn't, or they came late (things like booking confirmations or delivery update from the Royal Mail).

This is really annoying me, and it means I might get locked out of my online banking, work email, and many other important things that use 2 step authentication.

I'll add that I've been with the O2 for more than 10 years on Pay Monthly, use an iPhone XR (had it for almost 2 years). My software is up to date (updated recently) but the problem started before the last update. I tried things like restarting the phone, resetting network settings etc. - it didn't help. I checked network coverage in my area, all okay.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmarkj Thanks for the Tag @cantharella will private message regarding the issues

Many thanks

O2Simon

Message 11 of 32

AnUrbanPenguin
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I am also having the exact same problem with verification texts not coming through.  Everything else is working perfectly fine, just not getting verification texts and its getting really annoying.

It was working fine until around a month ago now they dont come through.  Any help please?

Message 12 of 32

cantharella
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have finally been contacted by O2 Technical Team. They say they can't see those messages because they haven't been received by their network at all, so they can't help me. They can only investigate messages if they were received & failed on their network. So, basically, for them, it's not their problem. I asked why their network was unable to receive those messages if they were sent by the sender, but they couldn't explain. Then they tried to suggest that the problem was with the handset - but couldn't explain why I'm having the problem on a second phone now. They offered no advice on what to do next, it felt they were just telling me to go away and stop bothering them.

I'm extremely disappointed. I've been an O2 customer for more than 10 years. I have just renewed my contract, partly because one of the suggestions from Customer Service was that this problem was caused by a fault with my old phone. I wasted time calling them for weeks, only to be told they can't do anything for me. Now I have a choice to either live with the problem for another 22 months, or pay almost £700 to move to a different network. 

I asked to put a formal complaint through, but really, all I want is for my phone to work as it used to.

Message 13 of 32

BillyBilly
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same issue.  Spent a week changing and checking everything (no need, it was all ok;). It O2 giving a third rate service to pay as you go customers. 

Message 14 of 32

WhyOtwo
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Did anyone ever get this fixed? I have the same issue. Can make and receive both calls and texts, but do not get authorisation codes for payments or logins. Very frustrating.

Only switched to O2 a few weeks ago and it's been a painful journey... beginning to regret the decision.

I have a brand new iPhone 12, personal (O2) number on esim, work number on physical sim. Customer service couldn't help me and I am now waiting on a tech call from the sms team

Message 15 of 32

Carmelo
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE SOLVED IT PLEASE. THANKS t

Message 16 of 32

WhyOtwo
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not quite. O2 did eventually call back and assured me it could be fixed. I was told that they would provide an update every five days… that was 7 days ago and I’ve heard nothing. However, short code messages from vendors that were not working are now working, so something has changed, but there are others that still don’t come through. 

Message 17 of 32

Glover
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Me Too!

Message 18 of 32

MaxCG
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just switched to O2 and same issue. It's a deal breaker as work in IT and many 2FA only allow text.

No issue before ported and normal texts coming through fine.

I'm in my returns period so has O2 made any progress with this?

Message 19 of 32

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6529 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1480 Solutions

Sounds like the files for 2FA have not ported across. I'll tag an advisor 

@O2Lisa can you help

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 20 of 32