cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving some texts (verification codes, some texts from companies etc.)

cantharella
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Suddenly out of the blue I started having problems with receiving some text. Mostly it affects verification codes sent as a part of 2 step authentication - most of the time I don't get them all, sometimes they come a few hours later. I also had a few other texts that I was meant to receive but didn't, or they came late (things like booking confirmations or delivery update from the Royal Mail).

This is really annoying me, and it means I might get locked out of my online banking, work email, and many other important things that use 2 step authentication.

I'll add that I've been with the O2 for more than 10 years on Pay Monthly, use an iPhone XR (had it for almost 2 years). My software is up to date (updated recently) but the problem started before the last update. I tried things like restarting the phone, resetting network settings etc. - it didn't help. I checked network coverage in my area, all okay.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@cantharella 

Check and see if you have a Spend cap applied.

Also short codes can be premium rate services so you might have a block on your account which will need checking by customer services.

All numbers in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Edited to add this guide Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 32

cantharella
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your reply. I do not have a Spend cap, never had it, I checked. I still receive some texts from short codes, just not all of them. I don't have any blocking on my account.

Message 3 of 32

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@cantharella 

We recently had another customer with this issue which turned out to be a faulty phone.

Can you try your sim in another phone to see if you can receive them then?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 32

cantharella
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I tried putting my SIM card in a different phone, still the same issue, couldn't receive verification texts (tried 3 different websites, so definitely not their fault).

Message 5 of 32

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

So must be an account or sim issue then @cantharella 

Pop into your local O2 shop and get a new sim to rule that in or out next.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 32

cantharella
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have replaced my sim card and even upgraded my phone (had iPhone XR, now iPhone 12). The problem still persists, I still don't receive texts with verification codes and possibly some other texts (from Royal Mail, DPD, other companies etc). I'm very frustrated rage

Message 7 of 32

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

So that just leaves an account issue which customer service need to check for you @cantharella 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 32

cantharella
  • 11 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My problem still persists and haven't found any solution, despite getting a new SIM card and a new phone, and spending along time on the phone to Customer Service.

Still don't get most short-code texts, which causes me a lot of problems because so many things rely on 2 steps verification now - I got locked out of my work email (luckily my IT team sorted it), couldn't fill out online forms before a dentist appointment, couldn't access files sent by a client etc. So annoying!!! 

I found Customer Service rather unhelpful - when I call 202 I have to tell the same story again & again - do they not have any notes of the issue on my account? Every time the person I speak to asks me bright questions like 'do you have a spending cap' when they should be able to see I don't! Or they make suggestions I speak to Apple. Then they 'fill out the form' to pass it on to the Technical Team. Last time I called on the 13/07 I was told the Technical Team would call me in 5 working days. It's been 8 working days, they haven't called me, so I called 202 again, was told all they could do is to fill out the form again and the Technical Team would call me in 3 working days! Fuming 😞 

Message 9 of 32

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Can you lean in to support @O2Georgina @O2nath_ci or @Anonymous?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 32