Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New upgrade/keeping old number query

RossC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi there, I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S9 to the S20 5G yesterday (25/9). I asked support if I had to do anything in order to keep my old number and was informed that all I had to do was wait up to 24hrs and the number would be moved to my new phone. It has now been over 24hrs and nothing has happened. Can anyone confirm this process for me?

I have not inserted a new sim into the S20 as I was told that was not necessary, however earlier today the phone prompted me to sim swap using an esim? This has left me confused as I feel I'm being told to do nothing but also to do something in order to use my old number. Can anyone help regarding this? Thank you.
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@RossC 

Your contract is upgraded to your old sim so you can use that, but if that has turned off O2 may have started a sim swap to the new sim, so try it in your new phone.

Either way, if you want to use the 5g sim, you can start a sim swap from your old one Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@RossC 

Your contract is upgraded to your old sim so you can use that, but if that has turned off O2 may have started a sim swap to the new sim, so try it in your new phone.

Either way, if you want to use the 5g sim, you can start a sim swap from your old one Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

RossC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you so much MI5. I have just successfully completed a sim swap to the new 5g sim. Support on the app has been poor on this process, if I had just been told what you have advised I would have saved myself 24hrs. Much appreciated, thanks again.
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You're welcome.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4