Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New network sim swap activated but phone not working

MellieDellie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently swapped my sim for the one O2 sent as part of the network upgrade. I completed the sim swap, texting 20220 from the old sim and getting the security code back which I entered using the new sim (I think, I can't actually remember now). I didn't get any messages for a while - expecting a 10 min delay - but then I couldn't make calls for 4 or 5 hours. So I checked the network and O2 reports that my local mast is not working. That was 4 days ago. I am still unable to make calls or receive them or send/receive texts. I have no idea whether it's the sim, the mast or both things that are an issue.

I have tried to activate wifi calling to get around the mast issue but get caught in a very frustrating trap: The 'enable wifi calling' message on my phone tells me to activate wifi calling in MyO2 account. I went to MyO2 and in order to activate wifi calling it tried to send me a security text – but of course, no texts are coming through!

Now, if I try the enable wifi calling process again, MyO2 tells me that wifi calling is activated but my phone continues to have it switched off, prompting me back to MyO2.

WhatsApp calling is working OK.

Questions for the Gurus out there:
Did I perform the sim swap correctly?
Could the mast be the issue - and how do I know when it's going to get fixed? 
Why is wifi calling saying active on MyO2 but is not active on my phone?
How on earth do you get to talk to anyone at O2 to resolve issues like this these days?!!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MellieDellie 

You need to contact O2 from another phone so they can check.
All numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When you call, you will be asked for the reason you are calling.
Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
You can also try saying "Upgrade" or "Fraud" to be connected to an advisor.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

MellieDellie
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you!
I am on the phone to an advisor now. She cannot see the new sim IMEI number on the system and says it's not registered to them. She is not aware of any mailers going out with new sims attached! She's checking now with the back office...if this is a scam it's very very sophisticated. The mailer looked extremely genuine and I have seen other people talking about it in the community.

Message 3 of 5

MellieDellie
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Quick update: The back office have confirmed that it 'might' be a genuine mailer as there is upgrade work going on at a local level and so the sim might be required - however, they don't recognise the IMEI number – they are not sure why - perhaps an 'uploading to account??' error. So they are sending out an new sim.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MellieDellie 

It's not a scam.

O2 are replacing all old 2g sim cards as they won't work on the network from April this year.

I don't expect customer service to know this these days though Rolleys

I guess the issue could be related to the network issue when you tried to activate the new sim, but I'd advise calling again to get O2 to activate the new one when it arrives.

PS, just looking at your first post again, all messages and codes should be sent from your old sim.

You don't insert the new sim until instructed, so check and send the code from your old sim if you didn;t do that already?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5