Did you mean: 

New G5 SIM card

Carloburn2993
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I tried to connect my new G5 SIM card yesterday.  I texted 20220 on my old card, followed the instructions sent to me, then switched off my phone, swapped the old card for the new, switched my phone back on, and instead of being connected 10 mins later, the new SIM card has failed to register, and it's now 36 hours later.  What can I do?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Carloburn2993 

Have you rebooted again?

If so, you need to contact O2.
All numbers are in this guide including Skype if you can't call Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When you call, you will be asked for the reason you are calling.
Stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
You can also try saying "Upgrade" or "Fraud" to be connected to an advisor.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

If the old sim is still working, you can use that too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your advice, particularly about how to get help.  SIM card is apparently a dud. New one to be posted to me.

Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Better luck next time @Carloburn2993 thumbsup

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 18

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The next card doesn't work either.  Now wondering if the fact that I have a 2G phone is the problem.  Won't a 4G card work in a 2G phone?  Not from the internet point of view (I don't use the internet on my phone), but wouldn't it power up the phone on the call and texts basics?  Or does it mean that O2 have failed to mention that a 'free' SIM card upgrade actually means that I have to buy a fresh phone?

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Carloburn2993 

It should work fine, but I'm guessing they have just sent a blank sim, so you'll need to call O2 again to activate it with your number.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the advice, but I think we've gone beyond this point.  I have phoned up O2 with each of the two new SIM cards, and neither have worked.  This last time, the lady on the phone assured me that she'd set everything in motion her end, and I just had to wait 24 hours, and my phone would be connected once I'd turned it off and on again.  No.  Then I just kept getting cut off while waiting to talk to another person.  Surely they haven't send me two dud SIM cards?

Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Carloburn2993 

Who knows mate.

Nothing would surprise me these days!

If the sim only arrived today, try rebooting phone after midnight when the systems update....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.  I got the SIM yesterday, and phoned up yesterday.  However, I will try the reboot after midnight.  Despite your help, I'm not confident - it really does seem in that removing my old original SIM, that my phone has lost the capacity to read a new SIM.

Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Is it possible that the phone got damaged somehow @Carloburn2993 ?

Can you try the sim in another phone at all?

Is the sim installed correctly etc......?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18