Did you mean: 

New G5 SIM card

Carloburn2993
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello

I tried to connect my new G5 SIM card yesterday.  I texted 20220 on my old card, followed the instructions sent to me, then switched off my phone, swapped the old card for the new, switched my phone back on, and instead of being connected 10 mins later, the new SIM card has failed to register, and it's now 36 hours later.  What can I do?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I readily admit that I'm not tech-savvy.  However, I have changed SIM cards in the past, and have never had a problem before.  I certainly can't see how I've done anything wrong.  As far as I know, the phone is not damaged, but I do have something of a query, and it's only because I started to look at things really closely.  When I looked at my old original SIM, I notice that there were three parallel straight lines sort of grooved into the gold part of the card (obviously the live bit, but don't know its technical name).  These lines are about 1cm long, and you could well imagine them being caused by the three knobules either side of the metal band that you slide the SIM under to get it in place.  On the new SIMs that haven't worked, there are only two groove lines and they are only 2mm long.  Is it possible that the knobules have been damaged, and that if they are what helps the phone read the SIM, are no longer working?

I don't think I have the option of trying a different phone.  I have an old one, but goodness knows if I have the charger, and the phone more or less died, hence my buying my current one.  Difficult to ask anyone else due to Covid.

Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Carloburn2993 

The theory is feasible,

I was thinking along similar lines, esp if your old sim had been in the phone for a long time, that it could have "stuck" in place and caused unseen damage when it was first removed for the original sim swap.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - it helps to know that my theory might not be completely mad.  i think I'm looking at a new phone.  That takes me back to my other question - will a 4G SIM work in a 2G phone, or do I need to get a 4G phone?  Please take into consideration that I'm not looking to use the internet on my phone.

Message 13 of 18

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Carloburn2993 

You could try a cheap basic phone, delivered quickly from Amazon, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-1-77-Inch-Feature-Phone-Single-Black/dp/B081DDS4HK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2B...

This will take any current sim card.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 18

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been using a Nokia 216, which if anything is flashier that the one you suggested, apart from the fact that yours is 3G.  What I'd really like to go with is this - would it work with the new 4G SIM?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Flip-Phone-E1272-Dual-Sim-Big-Button-Basic-Folding-Phone-Black-Wh...

Message 15 of 18

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Carloburn2993 

Yes, all sims are backwards compatible.

The fact that it is 2g just means that is as far as it will go and not utilise the 3g/4g capability of the sim.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 18

Carloburn2993
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Brilliant - thank you, that is just what I wanted to know.  You have been a great help, thank you.

Message 17 of 18

MI5
  • 144187 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You're welcome and best of luck.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 18