Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a fixed Mac address on mobile data

Samkc87
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Good evening, I use an application for work to access sensitive data that I need to access through my phone. Part of the security is a Mac address check. It's fine on WiFi as I've set the Mac address to be fixed as my device Mac address on my galaxy S21 plus. The problem I'm having is my mac address keeps changing on my mobile data. Is there anyway to have this as a fixed mac address?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Samkc87 

The easiest way is to use a vpn.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a surfshark account...can I set a fixed mac address through this then?
Message 3 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've looked online and a VPN wont allow me to fix a mac address...only hide/change my IP
Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yeah I was thinking ip but aren't mac addresses fixed anyway?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's what I thought but every time my network loses signal and reconnects so does my mac. I've managed to set my phones mac on WiFi to stick to my device mac but can't seem to do the same on mobile data
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samkc87 Hi,

All network adapters and network capable devices have a unique MAC address.

Mobile data wont change your MAC address, it communicates by IP address.

A router or server can allow or reserve an IP address to a MAC address ( An individual device or adapter)

Message 7 of 22

Samkc87
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's what I thought but every time I restart my phone with WiFi off it generates a new mac address. Managed to generate 5 completely different mac addresses
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samkc87 Your phones MAC address can't be changing it's set from the factory, the only way to change your phones MAC Address is to remove the network chip and replace it.

An IP address can be Static (Stays the same) or Dynamic (Changes from time to time) but that is provided by your ISP.

Message 9 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

There must be multiple network adapters to generate different ip addresses, surely?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 22