Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone wont retain network while roaming? USING PAY AS U GO

GOBMITIE
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am abroad and have an android dual sim with O2 number.  I have just discovered that the phone keeps rejecting calls either outgoing or incoming.  To make a call I have to turn phone off, reconnect to a network.  Make a call but then when I try a second call, I get "call failed".  Using pay as u go. Got £30.00 credit.  For network I tried both automatic and manaul.

I can send and receive texts ok.   I changed the sim in early September in Enniskillen NI. I am in Ireland now.

I have tried sim in an iphone se as well and same result.

I am stumped.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@GOBMITIE 

You are the third in the space of a week with the same issue when roaming.

Customer services need to check your account as I suspect there is some kind of roaming bar in place.

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

or Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

GOBMITIE
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.   I contcated 02 and unable to get a fix while on phone, they sent text ok and MMS ok even they are foxed.  It was escalated to tech team who woul ring ME !!!.  Anyway they did ring this morning but all I got as a text message!! as phone wont work!!

I had this phone here for years and only now has it gone belly up, ie with Covid!

Message 3 of 12

GOBMITIE
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I found the sim pack and it says on front pay monthly and business sim.  I was wondering as I am on Pay As U go would that be the problem??   I can still receive texts but thats it.

It also says for pay as you go when you change sim you should top up to activate!!  I was only getting a new nano sim ie same number.

I'll ring again Monday but any hnts or tips welcome.

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@GOBMITIE 

Yes, you have the wrong sim card.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

GOBMITIE
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No just rang them and confirmed SIM is pay as you go and there are no bars, selected networkl, call made one call out and received one incoming then went belly up again. !!! At least I am on the agreed network!!

Flagged to tech support again and gave a different contact number.  Its weird. 

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I'm starting to believe there is only one solution to all the O2 issues just lately........

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

GOBMITIE
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

would you beleive it I am still waiting for this problem to be resolved!! I wonder is it becuase I do very little outgoing calls and they cant be bothered.

Message 8 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions
@GOBMITIE

Where abouts are you roaming at the moment? As it could be down to the roaming network?
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 12

GOBMITIE
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am in Ireland and have had the same number with no hassle for 20 years.  I reside in ireland but used to travel back and forth many times a year.  I have uk banking so uk mobile was very useful.  It always worked flawlessly until I got a new sim in Northern Ireland on 13th September.  I only crossed into NI to get a new nano sim and it was activated while I was there. 

I can receive texts OK but thats it.  I have spoken to network people 3 times.  I confirmed with them the 3 is the preferred network in Ireland and I  have another phone with them, well its a dual sim phone. 

I have ordered a new sim but not sure if it will get to me. I have to use parcelmotel.

Network people have sent a text to say changes have been made ,,, etc.  When I try to send a text message I get " error 50"

We are in lockdown but it may be I have to go north and get sim working correctly ie make and receive calls. It could not have happened at a worse time.

Message 10 of 12