cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Australia, want to keep old number.

MaxESmith
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I currently have a pay monthly contract on O2 refresh (the device is paid off).

I've moved to Australia for the foreseeable future and have set up with a new provider.

I now have both my O2 sim and my new Australian sim in my device (dual sim, Galaxy S20+)

I would like to keep my O2 number: 1) for my eventual return to the UK, and 2) so that the many 2 factor authentications/business and work contacts I have set up can still contact me.

Other than that I will be using minimal minutes, texts, or data via O2.

What is my best plan of action?

Is it possible for an O2 agent to convert my pay monthly subscription to the cheapest possible without needing to send me a new sim card? Or is a new pay monthly plan only possible with a new sim?

Is a PAYG sim a better option?

I imagine if I do require a new sim card then it will have to be delivered to family in the UK who can then pass it on?

No issues with setting up a new sim from outside the UK?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@MaxESmith You will not be able to continue using your current sim under a contract if you're planning to be in Australia for the foreseeable future. You will surpass the time allowed. See this, which is O2's Fair Usage Policy:

O2 | Consumer Fair Usage Policy | Terms and Conditions

If you can, you probably should switch to an International Pay & Go sim if you want to keep your number, but I don't think you can do that if you're already in Australia. If you have family in the UK it will most likely be easier to send your current sim back to the UK and let someone switch everything over here.

You should speak to customer service to get clarification on this. Call on +44 7860 980 202 from your mobile or +44800 032 1402 from any phone or by using Skype: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-Topic/A-Guide-To-Skype/m-p/1305104/highlight/true#M181823
When it comes to the reason you are calling, stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say 'Upgrade', 'Lost/Stolen', or 'Fraud' if the suggestion above doesn't get you through.
The +44800 number isn't available until 9 am UK time.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MaxESmith 

You can upgrade yourself in your MyO2 to the £10 month sim only deal https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P24M 

There's no need for a new sim or any setup as it will all change on the account.

Also note that there is no fair use policy outside of the EU as you pay for any roaming costs directly.

Make sure your voicemail and mobile data are turned off to avoid extra charges for their use.

You will be charged for answering incoming calls but texts are always free to receive.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3