Did you mean: 

MCK Needed

yellow_spider
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Greets all,

Returning customer. slight_smile I used to have a Mobile Broadband account (still have the number but no sim for that nor the dongle) for a few years, was quite happy with it. It worked well enough for what I needed at the time. As I had a free phone from another source I did not at that moment require O2 for a phone, merely for mobile broadband.

Anyway times moved on and I went elsewhere for a bit but I've returned now, grabbed myself a PAYG type SIM but I have an issue with the phone itself.

Should be noted the phone is locked to O2 , but on principle I don't have locked phones.

O2 were very kind to issue the regular unlock code with my 'new' number very quickly via the automated form however this did not unlock it as it needs I'm told the MCK or Unfreeze or Master code as the wrong one was entered a few times it seems, it was a used Galaxy S7, previous owner gave it to me as he got a new one and he knew I was phoneless, did say it was O2 locked mind you but he had it new, still have the paperworks/box for it grin

Out of interest I spoke to the local independent phone shop (he has not seen the phone in person) the  man knew all about this and said he could obtain it (without doing any stuff to the phone itself, merely wanted my and the phone details) , to quote as best as I recall what he said:

"its usually 10 for that, and you'll get three different codes from us, enter them while you're here and if it does not work we'll not charge you but O2 can probably get it for nothing for you without cost to them anyway if you're their customer"

To clarify the phone when a different carrier sim is in place says "Sim network pin blocked. Enter sim network PUK" , it won't accept the PUK for the temporary (non O2) sim nor the PUK for the O2 one. This message is misleading as others have found out, it is really saying "Master/Unfreeze code needed" once that is entered then you put in a different sim temporarily and enter the regular 'unlock' code and it will be accepted that time.

The usual workaround of the "#7465625*638*" does not help either but I'm not surprised. slight_smile All that really does is allow you to enter the network unlock code if you have an accepted SIM in afaik.

I have seen a few thread here where people have had this issue , here is one example that is my problem too and another here

In those topics, helpful members tended to tag others to assist , as I do not know (and its impolite) for me to do that, I'll not.

Samsung will merely refer me back here. slight_smile

I could 'root' it out I suppose via ADB for free but I don't really want to go down that path, I'd only ever do that if it was broken! Worst case is I pay the shop man for the full set of codes I suppose but any help here is appreciated as I'd like to stay again! slight_smile As it seems the right people at O2 are likely to be able to get the code required without any issue.

Note: I think its the MCK its called, phone man talks in complex tech verses sometimes. But its the "Master Unfreeze" as such. Phone Guru's will know from the message and my description what I am asking.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Cheers for the mention @MI5 slight_smile

@yellow_spider we should be able to get this sorted out for you. I'll drop you a private message so I can grab some details. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@yellow_spider 

@Martin-O2 is your man for that.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

yellow_spider
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5 , appreciate the reply. slight_smile

Do I need to "do anything" for Martin-O2 to contact me / me contact him etc ?

I only ask as I've seen in previous threads/topics where someone mentioned others and they then after a time appeared and posted in the topic anyway or mentioned getting details via PM etc. I'll not annoy anyone with messages etc or tags, I'll just quitely await. Not really in a terrible rush anyway.

On a different note the "shop man" (one man band type of place more or less) was honest/good enough to tell me to come here rather than try to extract monies from me for him doing it, but he knew exactly what the 'concern' was and could get the code.

I will say I've not topped up the new O2 sim yet as that's £10 to do that, which is the same as having the 'shop man' supply details. The reason is simply because if I did top up here then found out that I could not get the code, Id' of spent 10 and although I'd have credit I'd still have a network locked phone, so its a case of "unlocked phone first, then topup next time"

But I appreciate any help. For what it is not worth I can provide (to staff) the details of my previous MobileBroadband account, and that will show I was a customer here for many years! slight_smile grin

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@yellow_spider 

@Martin-O2 will contact you by private message.

I'm sure, later today...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Cheers for the mention @MI5 slight_smile

@yellow_spider we should be able to get this sorted out for you. I'll drop you a private message so I can grab some details. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 10

yellow_spider
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Martin-O2 slight_smile

I have replied to your PM.

I'm assuming its the MCK, I have heard it called other things like "Unfreeze Code" for instance or I think SPCK , however to make it 'easy to digest' it is the code that you need to enter when you have entered the wrong network unlock code several times.

Message 6 of 10

yellow_spider
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just a small update.

The requested MCK arrived and I was able to enter it to unlock the device, many thanks.

For anyone else who has this, be aware it -may- say "unsuccesful" when you enter the MCK (the 'unfreeze' code, and it can confuse some as it mentions PUK too) 

However -if- the MCK is correct then immediately afterwards it will then ask for the network unlock code, ie: the regular one you normally use if its not locked out. No usually required to reboot between each code. If the MCK was wrong it will return to that screen again.

Anyway all good, I tested it with two 'other' old SIM's, one beginning with E and one with V  neither complained about anything whereas before they did!

All good, huge thanks. slight_smile

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144290 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

Great news @yellow_spider thumbsup

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Wig
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello Martin, I am also in need of an mck code and have been having real trouble aquiring one, can you help please. Thanks

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Martin-O2  Please see post above.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10