cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Assistant not sending SMS - Huawei Y7 (2019)

Rodster
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi folks

My mum who is blind, relies on Google Asst and for the most part it is excellent.

She has an unlocked Huawei Y7 2019 and has just started a new contract with O2 after coming from EE.

I have updated everything i can think of from a software pov, but i have a feeling that there is an issue with her APN config, but for the life of me i cant remember how to adjust it.

Im sure its mobile.o2.co.uk as default.

anyway, she asks google to create a text and send to me, it creates, verifies recipient and sends, within a second she recieves a message stating 'sorry but the sms is not configured correctly'

If i send a text manually its no issue, but as she is blind she cannot do this manually.

When on EE, this was not an issue - hence why i think its an O2 config issue and not a google issue wink

Can anyone give me step by step 'idiots guide' please?

many thanks in advance

Rodster

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rodster 

Guide to settings here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Serv...

but it's unlikely to be an apn issue.

Try clearing cache and data from the sms app first.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 21

Rodster
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@MI5

many thanks for this, will try tomorrow and update on here grin
Message 3 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

No worries @Rodster 

Also try downloading Google messages if you still have problems with the stock app.

Set Google as the default messaging service and it should always send sms through Google.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 21

Rodster
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

tried this and it didnt make a difference.

Also uninstalled and reinstalled google messages and defaulted sms app as advised.

Still same sms error message 'phone number is incorrectly formatted'

it will manually send but this is pointless as my mum is blind, so any other workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Rodster

Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I'll have a think and get back to you @Rodster 

Message number must be correct as they send manually OK.

Guide: Text Message Tips (not sent or received) 

Currently using:
Message 6 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rodster 

Here's a weird one from the Huawei troubleshooting pages:

Problem: Some SMS messages cannot be sent on my phone, such as those to a carrier number.

1. If an SMS message contains sensitive words, the recipient cannot receive the SMS message.

Use a test SMS message to check whether the SMS message can be received normally. For example, send "Hello", "Thank you", or "Goodbye". If the message can be received, it indicates that the message you tried to send may contain sensitive words. Please exclude sensitive words from your message.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 21

Rodster
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks @MI5 

the test sms was 'hello'

worked manually not thru google asst....

im all googled out searching lol

Message 8 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Not giving up yet @Rodster lol

Check the Google App permissions in Settings>Apps to see if it has access to your contacts and SMS

Currently using:
Message 9 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Also check the format of the stored phone numbers. "Sometimes some of your contacts numbers might have unnecessary parentheses, space, comma or anything that will interfere with Google Assistant. While unlikely, it did happen to some users so make sure to check that out too."
https://forums.tomsguide.com/faq/google-assistant-can%E2%80%99t-send-text.191103/

Currently using:
Message 10 of 21