Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud by Telefonica employee.

Indlovubill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Was contacted by someone claiming to be from O2, he was fro Telefonica which I suppose is the same thing. Told me my line rental was being lowered by 40% and asked for my security answer which I stupidly gave him. Next thing he asked for the access code he said had just been texted to me, stupidly I also gave him that which he used to access my O2 account, change my password and order a phone. He also signed a credit agreement in my name, presumably this was so he could 'earn' commission on the sale. I refused delivery of the phone but am still trying to get the transaction and the credit agreement (which I didn't sign) wiped.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely not O2, more like a trusted partner.

You need to change all your passwords and call O2 to speak with the fraud team

Check My O2 for any changes or orders

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Definitely not O2, more like a trusted partner.

You need to change all your passwords and call O2 to speak with the fraud team

Check My O2 for any changes or orders

Message 2 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Indlovubill Just because someone calls you and says they're a Telefonica employee doesn't necessarily mean that they are. In fact there's a 99.9% chance they aren't. We always advise people to never interact with someone on a cold call. As @jonsie has said change your password and report the fraud. Also inform your bank and the police.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/unwanted-calls-and-messages
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

Indlovubill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The caller had nothing to gain by ordering the phone other than 'earning' commission. Despite telling O2 I hadn't ordered the phone it was dispatched to my address by DPD, naturally I refused delivery and the phone is on its way back to O2. 

Message 4 of 10

Indlovubill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I have changed all passwords and keep checking my account, I phoned O2 to cancel but the purchase and credit agreement are still showing. Stupid of me to fall for it, in my defence we were short staffed and I was handling incoming calls from the switchboard as well as dealing with the scammer on my mobile.

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Indlovubill 

They had a lot to gain, as you confirmed all your personal details, and they got access into your o2 account, which gives them more data on you.. 

Its called a social engineering attack, so they can now go on and obtain credit in your name, and use your identity. 

I would also be putting a CIFAS marker on your credit report and reporting to your bank as well so they are aware. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 10

Indlovubill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm still in favour of Occams Razor (the simplest explanation) but appreciate your advice regards CIFAS credit report. The person who phoned already knew the tariff I was on and clearly got that information from O2. Also remember O2 has 'buddied up' with Virgin which is the equivalent of 'buddied up' with the local Mafia.

Message 8 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

I would rather o2 buddied up with Liberty Global (VM's owner) than BT who are the worst of all the providers, and Liberty Global and Telefonica UK together can only be good for customers of both and those who don't want to touch BT and its products...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 10

Indlovubill
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They're all intent on grinding us into the ground. O2 still haven't wiped that deal from my account, maybe it suits them to play along, the scammers have signed me up to a £1145 O2 deal. I'm trying to understand what the scammers gain. Maybe credit card details saved on my O2 account, but there aren't any!

Message 10 of 10