cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a new (smaller) SIM card or can an O2 guru clone one for me?

MarjF
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got a new phone for my autistic brother (I am overseas and trying to manage this remotely) and need the data transferred from his original O2 phone (broken headset jack) to the new O2 supplied phone.  The SIM card in the old phone is the number he wants to keep but I believe the SIM card port for the new phone is a different size.   I am going to make a guru appointment for him to go in for the swap over but I don't want to waste anybody's time.  Do I need to get another SIM card with the same number or can a guru swap the number on to the other SIM?  Hope this makes sense.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MarjF 

Everything can be done instore. If you call the store and explain the issue with your brother they will transfer everything over and transfer his number to the new sim.

Brother will need to take some ID with him.

Edited to add, the old phone may have a 3-1 sim...in which case the relevant part could be pushed out..

in which case there would be no need for a store visit.

sim card.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MarjF
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for a quick and precise reply.  The last issue is that the phone contract is in my name as I pay for it.  I am stuck overseas.  I can make a guru appointment when I can be online via WhatsApp.  Would that work?

Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MarjF 

I edited my reply regarding the sim Please check that first.

You could call the store using Skype if you need to. Check with them about you being online to confirm the contract is in your name.

I hope they will be helpful under the circumstances.

Edit spelling.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@MarjF 

You can call O2 from overseas as the contract is in your name and they will post out a new sim with the number on it to your home address.

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

MarjF
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.  I don't think it does as my brother went into store and they said it didn't fit.  They also said he needed a guru to transfer the data from old phone to new one as there is quite a lot of stuff on his phone.  So that day I bought a pay as you go SIM for the new phone so he could use it for music for now while he is on holiday but two phones is not really a solution.   

Message 6 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MarjF 

Then follow my original advice about your brother going instore (after making an appointment for him.)

Make sure you explain the situation, and your brother needs to take ID

Best of luck thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 7