Did you mean: 

4G Bath City Centre

KyePR
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

For quite a few months now the data bandwidth has been terrible in the centre of Bath, even with full signal the internet access is slow or in most cases non existent! Network status constantly states “high usage” but this was even during lockdown when the centre was mostly empty! It means I am missing internet based communications regularly. Surely after this length of time it would call for an additional mast or upgrade to the network infrastructure to improve throughput? Especially with restrictions lifting and more tourists visiting the city!

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@KyePR 

Mast's can only accomodate a certain number of connections at a time, and everyone working from home their has been a uplift in usage, even though you might not see anyone on the streets. 

To increase bandwidth and masts then this takes months to put in place and im sure Bath has more challenges than most towns, so this makes it more complicated to install infrastructure, I have a feeling Bath Town council arent too keen on new masts as well. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

KyePR
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I get that there is a limitation on connections to a mast. People working from home will surely (for the most part) be using their own broadband connection not 4G?

Clearly something has happened from before the pandemic as I don't remember having this issue before, even with all the tourists etc, there was a time when a mast was down and the poor speeds started shortly after then, I wonder if they decommissioned a mast and never recommissioned it after?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Often, masts in town centres are erected in derelict or unused buildings, which eventually may get demolished and hence the loss of a mast.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just raised a grievance with support to get them to allow me out of my contact a few months early because of this. Literally every seaside resort we've been to this year we've had excellent indicated signal but no data whatsoever. Sometimes you can get some data by forcing your phone into 3G mode, if you're lucky. They just don't have the 4G bandwidth to service the number of customers (both their own and those of MVNOs) in busy areas.

Message 5 of 6

Neil_Bath
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We are still finding the O2 service in Bath appalling. No data and inability to call people. City maybe busy but this seems to be getting worse. You cannot rely on being able to use your phone to park or to contact people to meet. 

Message 6 of 6