cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my home WiFi when no mobile network is available

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just rejoined O2,

My home has no telephone network available. 

I have downloaded the O2 home app but cannot see where I can connect to my WiFi.  

Is this the app, or is there another I must use?

Edit:  I now find that the App is called TU go. The bad news is that it is discontinued !!!  So what do I do? I am a SIM only user with a dual sim Android 7 Elephone S7. Apparently I can load O2 firmware onto some phones and then use the new O2 firmware to use the new O2 solution.

Will my phone be one of them? How do I find out? How do I get the firmware? Will it work?

After two appalling years with Three which cost me around £ 60,000 in lost sales orders it looks as though this may be even worse.

So this feels like a nightmare in the making. I have just signed for a £29 each month service because Three couldn't get me home service. Although I knew that O2 can, as I thought, I was unable to remember the app name and so find the app (see above).

Now it looks as though I may have spent £348 on a Service that is no use to me.

By the way, I don't live on some remote island in the Outer Hebridees. I live a ten minute walk from the business and commercial centre of Newcastle. This is all because the telephone companies refuse to invest in a decent service.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

As I said, it's not on the list of supported phones @Anonymous (according to the list I posted above)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again.  Yes, I eventually found that too. Looks like I am 100% stuffed.

Thanks for your help.

Message 12 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Not much luck though you could try EE or Vodafone who also offer WiFi calling @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I could also spend some vast sum on buying a qualifying phone, but two problems with that. First I would feel ripped off; the Elephone cost me £118 six months ago and is a 64gb dual sim superb phone. Even if I can get a dual sim in the UK I shudder to imagine the cost. Especially with 64 gb.

I work all around the world and need to carry my copies of work files on my phone. The cloud is not readily available at the top of the Great Rift Valley, in the Sahara or in countries like Libya !!! So I need 64 GB on my phone  or another device/disk to cart around. What a pain. I also need Dual sim for an alternative local sim card to avoid bancruptcy by phone bill.

This is all because a home in the centre of a Major UK City offers no access to mobile networks.  Perhaps I should move to London.  Oh, wait,    No.

Message 14 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

It was just a suggestion @Anonymous. I didn't know all your circumstances until you have just posted them.

So if you already had the phone.. I presume you have just started a sim only contract with O2? 

You can change your mind within 14days (no charge) If its over the 14 days then info on cancelling is here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774#M56526

Edited to add.. none of the other networks allow free wifi calling when you are abroad.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your help.

You are as far as o2 are concerned. 

Three is your only hope using their Three In Touch app. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your help.

You are as far as o2 are concerned. 

Three is your only hope using their Three In Touch app. 

Though according to Three's updated page, the app wont work with Dual Sim phones @MI5?

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=signal,varset_subcat=3804,Case=obj(41576)

Three in touch.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 22

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It works on my Z5.
You just need to take one sim out when registering.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 22

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I had an Elephone P9, which was also dual sim, and it wasn't much good for anything. On top of all that, they're crammed full of malware that can't be removed. You pay peanuts..... I now have a Moto Z Play which is also dual sim and is the best phone I've ever had for my purposes. The OP might want to think about getting a better phone. It isn't going to help at home, but it will work well when traveling.

Yet again, trying to run a business just using a mobile phone isn't the best idea.

@Anonymous If you're looking for a better phone that will be compatible for your needs, take a look here: https://willmyphonework.net/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 19 of 22

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
What phone have you got?

@MI5  a dual sim Android 7 Elephone S7. According to @Anonymous's edit

Would have helped to have been added as an additional post as edits don't show as unread.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 22