Did you mean: 

Introducing Open Radio Access Networks

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

At O2, we are always excited by the potential of new technology to improve the network experience we provide to our customers. Today, we wanted to share with you what O-RAN technology is and the future potential it has.

Open Radio Access Networks (O-RAN) means working to a set of defined open RAN standards that define how different network components work together. This allows us to work with multiple vendors for network infrastructure – rather than being locked in with one provider.

Picture1.png

O-RAN is enabling us to work with non-traditional partners including; DenseAir and WaveMobile, to introduce O-RAN solutions that will make building a network more cost effective. This will enable us to deliver better coverage to more places, such as rural areas with small populations and densely populated areas that require a large number of small cells.

O-RAN in action: WaveMobile has an active O-RAN that carries mobile traffic for us in several rural ‘not spots’ around the UK, where we haven’t been able to build traditional networks. WaveMobile do this by providing community based mobile services – where the community supplies the site, connectivity and power and they provide the spectrum, network and support. This is one way of building an O-RAN, which allows their customers to roam onto our network when they’re out of coverage and ours onto theirs.

Are there any other network technologies you’d like to learn about?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’d like to know a bit more about this technology.

1. Will O2 (or any network) guarantee speeds in these areas?
2. Will these still show up as areas of poor O2 (or any network) coverage, or will they show up as ORAN or multi network coverage areas?
3. How will the system dish out coverage to each network?
4. And as each network buys up & uses different bands, will all of these be covered in these areas or is it going to be hit and miss depending on what has been installed by which network provider?
5. Will it be 2, 3, 4 or 5g or just emergency coverage?
Message 2 of 3

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Anonymous

This is what i have learnt about ORAN / Open-RAN

1. I dont think o2 will be able to guarantee speeds in these areas as these are rural areas and it relies on a Broadband connection.
2. These will show as o2 coverage
3. Depends on the Vendor, but its national roaming so when on o2 you roam onto DenseAir or Mobile Wave's micro network, and it will dish out coverage the same as using a network abroad.
4. The 2 vendors mentioned only support GSM and LTE,.this depends on the hardware installed as some support 1 network and some 2 networks, i would expect the standard bands for.
5. GSM and LTE only, no point having 5G if they can only get 6Mbps adsl 🙂

Its cool to see how this is coming along and would be good to understand if Telefonica are looking at building a Cloud 1st network, like Three have done
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 3