Did you mean: 

5G Explained

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

In October 2019, we launched our 5G network and have since rolled it out to areas within 60 cities and towns. Here’s a rundown of what 5G is today; its benefits; what it will look like the future; and the types of industries it may transform.

5G explained 1.png

5G explained 2.png

5G explained 3.png

5G explained 4.png

The next generation core will deliver:

Software Defined Networking (SDN)

Allows networks to run the network using software rather than network specific hardware. Providing significant improvements; flexibility, capacity, reliability and efficiency.

Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV)

Allows network functions to run purely in software on generic hardware, without requiring expensive dedicated hardware.

Network Slicing

Will allow bandwidth on our network to be reserved to provide dedicated services for
our customers, particular useful for critical communication. In this way the same hardware can be used with different software providing; low latency level for one customer, whilst delivering voice services for another, allowing network performance to be protected for each service.

The 5G Radio Network will deliver:

Ultra Reliable Low Latency Communications (uRLLC)

Provides low latency for mission critical services and will enable a wide range of use cases from autonomous vehicles to remote surgery.

Features include:

• Mobile Edge Computing (MEC): allows data storage and processing to happen within a 5GSA network. This will increase capacity in the network and provide ultra-low latency.
  • Network of Networks: potential to provide ubiquitous coverage over time. The ability to create a contiguous 5G  network from range of existing and new coverage technologies,  including 4G cellular networks, wifi, private networks and low earth orbit satellites (LEO).

Massive Machine Type Communications (mMTC)

Will enable ten times as many connected devices than 4G, for sensing, monitoring and metering. mMTC will enable efficient, ultra-low energy, low cost, deep coverage, high density communications for large scale IoT such as Smart City infrastructure and connected vehicles.

5G explained 5.png

In technical terms, 5G represents a significant step forward from 4G, on which it will initially build.  As it evolves, 5G will bring major new technological capabilities that will support entirely new business models, sectors, and more efficient ways of working. This paper explains in more detail the key technological capabilities of 5G and the use cases they support.

Remember, all of the images we share on this board can be shared with the wider customer community, so feel free to use these as an aid to your network conversations. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35228 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
I wonder if Aura knows about 5G (NSA or SA)? I suppose I could ask her, I had to ask her about renewal matters anyway, from another part of the forum.
Message 2 of 3

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

It's certainly something you can test out @pgnslight_smile Drop your findings on the Aura board. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 3