Did you mean: 

5 Big Network Fail moments

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Our network engineers have to be on call to check on and fix our cell sites, whenever and wherever there’s an issue. Sometimes, this involves handling dangerous terrains, crawly creatures and botched DIY attempts. Here are some of our engineers most memorable moments on the job…

1. An ant’s nest takes over the ducts and enters our network equipment on a street site…

Site1.png

2. In Edinburgh, some birds took it to the next level and hatched in the church tower, meaning our engineers weren’t allowed to access the site!

Site2.png

Site2.1.png

3. Another from Scotland, but this time terrain related – a fast flowing river sits between our engineers and the site, making every visit a bit of a Highland adventure!

Site3.png

4. It’s not just nature that causes us issues, but people too – this cell site had been relocated to a box above the bathroom where it was seriously overheating. Maybe that’s what the yoghurt is about?

Site4.png

5. Worse than relocating our cell site, this landlord decided to demolish the building that housed it! At least they left a note…

Site5.png

Would you like to see more examples of the difficulties our engineers experience when making repairs on cell site? Let us know in the comments below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9991 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Martin-O2

Working in IT, these types of things are common place... and we have had to install kit and do cable runs in some strange and awkward places.

So always good to see what other peolpe go through, and would be good to see more 🙂
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Interesting to see those @Martin-O2  and if you have any more to show, I would love to see them. yahoo

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

RyanK1992
Level 4: Observant
  • 90 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I would absolutely love to see more.... how fascinating haha!

iPhone 11 PRODUCT RED
Apple Watch Series 4
Message 4 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@madasaf1sh yes I can imagine some awkward crawl spaces when installing cables! I hope you don't have to cross any raging rivers in your travels! sweat_smile

@Cleoriff@RyanK1992 I'll speak to the team to see if they have anymore of these. slight_smile I think they're great for showing some of the difficulties the engineers encounter that most people wouldn't think of. 

@RyanK1992 In case you missed it you might also enjoy some of the disguised cell sites shown in this thread. wink 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 5 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9991 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Martin-O2

No raging rivers thankfully, and a few weird office layouts slight_smile and a couple of greyhound tracks slight_smile
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Great photos, and definitely interested to see more - of the more awkward ones, things gone wrong and the weird and wonderful!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

None protected by a farmer with a shotgun?

I expect the conspiracy theorists will be having a go at the 5G masts....

Message 8 of 9

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Can leave your wellies in the van for now then @madasaf1sh sweat_smile

Noted @gmarkj the weirder the better. wink

There might have been @jonsie but I doubt the engineers would stick around for a photo in those cases! 

signature

Message 9 of 9