Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stolen phone and Getting a new sim

pickle
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am so frustrated right now with O2. My Phone was stolen 2 weeks ago and i went into store to get a new sim and report the phone stolen. Even though they triad multiple times I could not pass the security checks in the store, but i could pass when they called into helpdesk. I had moved house 6 days before so could not have the sim posted to my address as i don't live there anymore.

the store gave me a card and asked the help desk to activate it for me only to find that they couldn't do it without sending a code to my old number (which was stolen). I suggested they send the sim to the store and I can collect it from them. they said they could not do this as they cannot change my address on the system without sending a code to my number ( which was stolen). I then tried to change my own address on my account and could not as I also need to enter a verification code sent to my phone (which was stolen). I have been calling in and each time I reach the wall that they need to send a verification code to my sim and as this was stolen I cannot do anything with my account.

things have gotten so bad since I don't have a sim, I cannot log into my work laptop as they send the code to my number. I cannot log into my credit and debit card accounts cause they also send codes to the phone. my cards have also been blocked now cause I could not verify purchases and since I am in a new area it looked like suspicious activity. Whenever I have called in they all say there is nothing they can do, which to be honest is not good enough. I am on a pay monthly contract and cannot cancel so its not like I can just start a new contract with another company. they didn't even offer to try and come up with new solutions or pass me on to someone who can actually come up with a dynamic solution.  

My life is literally falling apart, all cause I cant access my sim number, I cant even get money out without physically going into the bank every time. if my employers were less understanding I might even be out of a job. I just want to be taken seriously.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@O2KyleW or @Anonymous can you please assist @pickle?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

Lbmac
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just had the exact same issue with my sons phone, but even worse as we live on an Island with no O2 store, this was their response:

Hello Mrs MaCleod

Thanks for contacting us to tell us about what has happened. I’m sorry that you’ve had a reason to make a complaint. I’ve tried to call you to discuss your complaint but have unfortunately been unable to contact you. 

As your complaint investigator, I’ve reviewed all the information available to me and I’ve now completed a full investigation of your complaint. 

I understand you are not happy that when your son had his phone stolen, and you tried to change the address on the O2 account, you were not able to do so as the O2 application wanted to send you a one-time code.to the stolen sim. Which you could not receive.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and frustration; this has caused you.

When we are changing contact details on a customer's account, we must follow an extremely specific process, which does involve us sending out a one-time code to the number on the O2 account in question.  I do understand that you cannot receive this code due to not having the SIM card.  

We do not have an alternative process that we can use to change the contact details on the account.  What we would recommend is that you visit one of our O2 stores, with photo ID, and proof of address. Then you would be able to change the contact details on the account.

Due to the above I cannot uphold your complaint and will not be taking any further action on the account.

What happens now

Now you simply need to let me know if you’re happy to accept the outcome and resolution by emailing me back. If you’re unhappy with the outcome of your complaint or feel that you have further information you’d like to share with me, please let me know. I work Monday to Friday 8 - 4 and would like the opportunity to discuss this at a time that’s convenient for you, so please respond with a suitable time and I’ll call you back. I will keep your complaint open for 28 days, after which time I’ll consider your complaint resolved and will close it down if I don’t hear from you.

Most of our customers resolve their issues through our Resolution Process. So you can better understand the outcome of your complaint, you can read our full Complaints Code at https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain We can also send you a copy in the post.

If you remain unhappy with my response, please reply to let me know how I can help put this right. We’re part of an Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme, who you can contact after 8 weeks, or if after contacting us we’re unable to resolve things. Details of the scheme can be found at https://www.ombudsman-services.org/how-it-works

Yours sincerely

Mandy Smith | O2

Complaint Review Service

Telefónica UK Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Reference Number 718822)

Message 3 of 6

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6269 Posts
  • 47 Topics
  • 1433 Solutions

@Dave-O2 

This needs feeding back. What can a customer do when their SIM is stolen, obviously can't get the OTP and is miles away from an O2 store?

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There is just no common sense and no one seems to give a damn when a customer is in this situation

Makes you wonder if any manager can make a managerial decision?

Message 5 of 6

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 587 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Thanks @Enlli 

@Lbmac I'm going to drop you a PM shortly to follow up.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 6 of 6