cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I check my 02 text messages online ?

Harold
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I travel allot and don't always have signal, is there a way I can check my text messages online ?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35209 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
SMS uses the mobile network, not data of any sort, so will still send even with no data connection as long as you have a mobile signal.

In the best tradition of the forum and side-conversations, I thought you might know this, @MI5: SMS, does the network attempt retransmission if the receiving number is off the air? Or is the message "lost" ?

An ex-Ericsson engineer at my work says it is like the UDP protocol for computer networks - a message sent is "fire and forget", no acknowledgement necessary by target phone. However, I think I have seen instances where a burst of messages lands after a switched-off phone has been powered back on (within limits).

Just thought you might know offhand, if not I shall ask the Oracle, aka Google. 

Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
An SMS is sent via a gateway, so the sending phone actually only sends to this point. The gateway then forwards the SMS to the recipient. If the phone is on and SMS is received, there is a handshake between the two and the journey ends there for that particular SMS.
If no handshake, the gateway will continue to attempt to send, at first this is at quite frequent intervals, like each 30 mins, but then the gap gets bigger as time passes with no handshake. From memory, it will continue to attempt to send for up to 30 days.
The same process applies to MMS but the retry period is only 7 days.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35209 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Thank you, the process you describe is as I thought - appreciated, thanks! 👍
Message 13 of 13