Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam text message

Daphne
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yesterday I had a text message asking if I’d made a £3,950 purchase and a number to ring if not - I rang the number and was put on hold and waited for ages before giving up - when I rang my bank this morning they said the fraudster would have put me through to a premium rate number and I might be charged for the scam - can you let me know what happens in this case as I was only trying to protect myself and realise now I should have rung my bank straight away instead - the text came from the same number that my bank always uses to contact me so that was why I responded to it! Thanks 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144698 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Hi @Daphne see advice on premium rate calls and texts here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144698 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
Hi @Daphne see advice on premium rate calls and texts here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123149 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Daphne  As a matter of urgency you may wish to contact your bank with info on the call you received.

Send it via their phishing dept...if they have one

They will definitely want to know if a fraudster is contacting their customers perpetrating a scam.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144698 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
When you called your bank this morning did they check your account was still secure?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Daphne
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your replies - luckily Santander said they wouldn’t have authorised anything without my consent and my account is secure. Amazingly O2 said they’d refund the £26.94 charges for the premium rate call as it was obvious it was a scam but I realise it would have been my fault - I won’t ever reply to one of those texts without checking with the bank first! Thanks - very relieved! 

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 123149 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Excellent news @Daphne. Now you can breathe easy wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144698 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27733 Solutions
You have been very lucky and at least learnt a lesson.
Well done.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23161 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

Could have been a very expensive lesson, @Daphne. That's why we always suggest never respond to texts you're unsure of, or agree to anything from a cold call. It's happening with more and more regularity these days.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8