Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Change My Account Name/ DoB

Yan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey, I have a problem. it's not major but my dad made my phone account when I was younger. he did it under his name. But I pay for my own bills and I cannot change my name or my DoB and the website said to Customer services. My question is how can I change to me?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Yan you can't just change the details like that I'm afraid. What you need to do is start a new contract in your own name and then ask your dad to authorize moving your number to the new contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Yan you can't just change the details like that I'm afraid. What you need to do is start a new contract in your own name and then ask your dad to authorize moving your number to the new contract.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Yan  When you start a new contract under your own name, even though you already pay your own bills, be aware that you will be subject to a credit check by O2.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 11

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
And another thing...
You would be best off doing this when the existing contract is due for renewal.
Any other time and you would be having to pay up what is left.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 11

AnnieS
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Yan 

You are going to need your Dad's help for this.  The easiest way to get this done would be to go the Transfer of Ownership route and this is going to mean your Dad will need to give his authorisation and contact O2.

When this has been done, you will need to accept the contract into your name and this is going to mean meeting all the credit checking criteria.

I guess at the moment the account is split where your Dad has the contract in his name with you paying the bill each month.

If you refer to the link here, this will give you the information: Transfer of Ownership

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would still need to have a contract in your own name and then you can transfer the number but it's best to do it when the original contract is ending, otherwise termination fees will apply. All subject to a new credit check as you rightly say.

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@AnnieS wrote:

Hi @Yan 

You are going to need your Dad's help for this.  The easiest way to get this done would be to go the Transfer of Ownership route and this is going to mean your Dad will need to give his authorisation and contact O2.

When this has been done, you will need to accept the contract into your name and this is going to mean meeting all the credit checking criteria.

I guess at the moment the account is split where your Dad has the contract in his name with you paying the bill each month.

If you refer to the link here, this will give you the information: Transfer of Ownership

Transfer of ownership is just for the number. @Yan still needs to get their own contract in their name first.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

AnnieS
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fair enough.

I thought Transfer of Ownership would be for the remaining time left on the contract and number.

Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Just the number. It would be great if O2 could sort out something in respect of this. Many parents take out a phone inn their own name for their children.

Message 9 of 11

AnnieS
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Most definitely @jonsie 

That is where I was confused, I really thought it would be a complete transfer of contract ownership.  

As you mention, parents take out a contract for a child who wishes to have full responsibility for the contract at the age of 18. There are also times when being able to transfer a contract to someone you know can be helpful.  For example, financial problems or moving abroad.

It certainly something O2 should be able to do for customers.   

Message 10 of 11